Phone upgrades are no longer free... what gives?
Senior_Bill

I've just become eligible for a new phone. It used to be a free upgrade where I could either get a new good phone or maybe pay a few bucks for a nicer one.

NO LONGER!

It appears every phone is costing at least $30 plus the obnoxious tax based on the retail price. So even though an eligible phone says it costs $69.99 ... the real cost is $99.99 plus the big tax

This is all a very poor decision by Verizon.

I hate my Blackberry 9330... but I'm not upgrading... I'm just waiting for the better deal to appear by another provider.

I'm not holding my breath.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phone upgrades are no longer free... what gives?
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

verizon was the last provider to add this fee

0 Likes
Re: Phone upgrades are no longer free... what gives?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You probably had the NE2 program. That's retired as of Jan 2011. You might have one last NE2 credit available if you last signed a contract before the cut off date. You do have six months to use that credit though.

Also there is now a $30 upgrade fee. This started in April 2012.

If you had the unlimited smartphone data plan, you are no longer allowed to grandfather the plan when upgrading at the subsidized price. You will be required to select from the tiered data plans or you can switch to the Share Everything plans.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes