Re: Please help, Verizon is charging me for a returned device that came up as an empty box
stoor

I am facing the same issue with them - they claim it is an empty box - I guess they want to blame Fedex? Not sure what to do here - approaching local news channel. Verizon is stealing money from most rental device customers - maybe all.

0 Likes
Re: Please help, Verizon is charging me for a returned device that came up as an empty box
sluce

Same thing happened to me.  I spent many hours on the phone many times.  Bottom line was I absolutely refused to pay for a phone that I sent back and after about 3 months (yes, it actually took that long) they finally removed the $600. charge.  It seems to me that when you bring your phone in to them they need to make the transaction right there - not make you mail the phone in and blame you when their method of return is unsuccessful (or was it?).  It's crazy that probably some people have paid them for their criminal actions.  Their crazy method of 'investigation' seemed like a stalling tactic to me - just hoping that if they charged you enough times you'd pay it.  I could go on and on...  Just don't pay it!!!!!

0 Likes
JessDeWeerdt
  1. Wireless Complaint
  2. I have been a customer since 2009, and have had a Verizon phone on my parents contract since 2001 and this is my first problem with Verizon Wireless, but it is a major problem. I upgraded my phone in December of 2012 and got the iPhone 4s, I ordered over the phone with verizon. I got the phone and was upset when it made a horrible "electrical shorting noise", I was afraid the phone was going to catch on fire so I called and sent it back via the fedex return label provided to me from Verizon. I requested that I would like to upgrade to the iPhone 5 instead and pay the extra just incase this was an iphone 4s problem. I got the iphone 5 and it had a problem where no one hear me. I sent the iphone 5 back and they sent me a refurbished phone that rattled like it was broken. I was so frustrated!! I sent that back and finaly got a refurbished phone that works (but I am still mad that I didnt get brand new being that it was within 30 days. 2 months later a bill for the origninal iphone 4s shows up on my account, so I called. They stated that they recieved an empty box that was supposed to have the iphone 4s return in it, but never called me to tell me that!!!! So I have been fighting with them for the last few weeks and they act like I stole the phone! I want to leave verizon now, but I am handcuffed to a 2 year contract. I have spend hours upon hours on the phone with customer service, contacted a lawyer, and about to start a small claims lawsuit. PLEASE HELP!Frustrated beyond belief. << Names removed to comply with >>
    1. Other (requires explanation)
    2. I would like for Verizon to agree that this was their problem. Fedex wont let me file a claim because it was a "verizon prepaid label." I don't want to owe them for this phone that was either stolen by fedex or verizon. I would also like to be let free from my contract so I can do business with a company that treats me that way I deserve to be treated.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Verizon will never agree to or admit to this.  They have their set up with FedEx and the USPS where the two actually pass the packages off to each other and take portions of the delivery process. They also use pre paid labels at a bulk flat rate which saves them a ton of money.

They don't care that you cannot track the packages back to them, they actually like it so they can pull this stuff with their customers.

They don't care that you do not control any communication with FedEx and or USPS and actually prefer it. They pay the cost of shipping. The contract with the shipper is between Verizon and the shipping company.

So a number of things can be happening here. Someone in the receiving department is stealing the phones and selling them on eBay, The device is lost or stolen during shipping, the device is received and since you have no way to track or prove differently, Verizon just charges you and only those that complain with legal action / FTC Action will get their refund etc... and I am sure there are many other things that can happen

0 Likes
dounnala
Enthusiast - Level 2

I cant believe there are this many people with the same complaints . Seems to me (my opinion)  that someone at the Verizon return center may be opening boxes and making a killing reselling them.  

I would advise you to search Verizon Wireless thru the BBB website, you can get address and phone numbers to their corporate offices that the Verizon reps will not tell you. You can also find out who the CEO’s are and other higher up officers in the company.

Also file complaints with the BBB and also the Attorney General office in your state.  A lot of people don’t realize the many services that the Attorney General’s Office can provide. Sometimes you’ll get more results from them.  Good Luck!!

Please help, Verizon is charging me for a returned device that came up as an empty box
JessDeWeerdt

Just filled out the BBB app yesterday. Doing the Attorney General form today, and filing a small claims lawsuit tomorrow. Im sick of being pushed around by Verizon.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

John Bianchi Cusromer Service Director

http://aboutus.verizonwireless.com/leadership/executive/profiles/John_Bianchi.html

Executive Offices

7000 Central Avenue SW

Albuquerque NM 87121

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there stoor!

Right off the bat, I know we're not talking about pocket change here so I want to start by saying that I'm extremely sorry for this entire ordeal. With that said, I truly appreciate the opportunity to address this matter.

Since this is definitely something we want to look into further, may I ask if this rental device you're describing is with our global travel program? You've obviously done a great job between sending the package and making sure photos were taken. Additionally, I'm glad to know we've filed the proper investigations to research matters at our warehouse. May I ask if you've filed a claim with FedEx or spoken with them on this matter? If not, we'd be more than happy to go above and beyond to get all parties involved and remedy this situation as best we can. After all, we don't want you having to call constantly nor worry about your past due amount. Also, we're sad to know you've left but we still want resolution. Please let me know so we can go further.

EvanO_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dsauch

Same thing happened to me. Shipped back malfunctioning Galaxy Note2 on 3/1 via prepaid USPS/Fedex label.

The tracking number showed it was received on 3/8 at ft Worth.

Received a txt message that device wasnt returned - called VZW, was assured it was just not processed by warehouse yet.

Second txt message - called, was told the same thing. I havent started looking on the internet yet, as I wasnt concerned.

Finally they slapped me with $750 charge a week ago, called it - had inquiries sent to warehouse.

Today (4/24) I was told that the answer from warehouse came back - the box was empty... The note was put on account just yesterday.

So two months after receiving the package they realized now that the box was empty!

The rep I've spoken to opened a case with Fedex - he mentioned this happens often, the whole process took him about 90 seconds.

He wasnt convinced by my story that Fedex does not weight packages (as I learned here based on VZW rep post) and he was sure they do. There was no point arguing with him.

Rep said the fedex investigation takes 2-3 business days and they can say how much the package weighted at start/finish.

Meanwhile there is a $750 charge on my account...

Taught by other stories on this forum - I paid my normal bill, removed all CC from my account and stand ready with a BBB complaint form.

Have been a customer with VZW 13 years, had multiple devices replaced over time - never had an issue.

PS just called fedex and was told that it was indeed weighed on receival and came in at 0.3lb.

Anyone know what the normal weigh for the box with cell phone would be? Considering there is no battery inside or any accessories....

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

From the info I was able to find, the Note II weighs in at about 6.5 oz and the battery is about 1.9 oz.  6.5 - 1.9 = 4.6 oz or 0.2875 lb.  Add in the weigh of the carton/packaging and you can go from there.

Ask Verizon to supply an arrival weight of the package.   Doubt they will supply (I doubt they have that info) it but you never know until you ask.

Good luck.

0 Likes