Poor Cell Service all of a sudden
MARGAY31
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have had our Verizon cell services at our house for over 7 years .... All of a sudden within the last three weeks we cannot make or receive a call in the house. We have tried wifi calling etc.. nothing works.  I try to call verizon to help with the problem yet the service is so bad both in side and out side we cant even get to the bottom of the problem  Does anyone have any answers.. I asked if there was a tower issue and all I got was that I would be transferred to another Tier level.. They can't help me if we can't communicate.. Appreciate the answers in advance .

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Poor Cell Service all of a sudden
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MarGay31, We appreciate your business and we want to help make sure you have service you can rely on at all times. What happens when you use Wi-Fi calling? What's your zip code?

TrinetteW_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Install a cell signal level application on your device like one of the following from the PlayStore: Network Cell Info Lite, and/or Advanced Signal Status

If you have an iPhone, then look for something on iTunes that does something similar like Open Signal.

I've gleaned the following from the web regarding reported metrics in these apps:

RSRP – The average power received from a single Reference signal, and Its

typical range is around -44dbm (good) to -140dbm(bad).

Better than -88dBm RSRP is a strong signal
Between -89dBm and -96dBm is a very good signal
Between -97dBm and -105dBm is good
Between -106dBm and -112dBm is fair
Worse than -113dBm RSRP is poor

RSRQ – Indicates quality of the received signal, and its

range is typically -19.5dB(bad) to -3dB (good).

Greater or equal to -10dB (excellent)

Between -10 to -15dB (good)

Between -15 to -20 (Fair to Poor*)

Less than -20 (Bad*)

RSSNR – Indicates the Signal to Noise ratio of the signal, the higher the better

Greater or equal to 20 Excellent

Between 13 to 20 Good

Between 0 to 13 (Fair to Poor*)

Less than or equal to 0 (Bad*)

If your signal from the cell tower is good, it may be congested. Contact Verizon and tell them the Mode (4G, 3G, etc) and the values of these metrics.

Now if you have WiFi calling enabled, the issue with that can be, if you have a good signal from the tower, the phone is going to prefer attempting to make the call via the tower rather than WiFi. You can get around this by engaging Airplane mode, then re-enabling WiFi.

If the signal from the tower to phone is strong, it likely there's an issue with the tower.

Good luck.

Caboose30
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have what I think is a related issue though I doubt I'm in the same location. I live in Bellaire, Michigan and the tower that I connect to has suddenly started having horrible ping jitter. It'll be 80ms one moment and then 350+ the next. I have a 4G router for my desktop and I use tether on my phone as a backup, there are no other broadband options available to me. This destroys my ability to play games online, video conference, and anything else that needs a low latency connection. There isn't an option on the website for anything even related to tower issues, it all just assumes you don't know how to use your device.

0 Likes
Caboose30
Enthusiast - Level 1

RSRP – -110db

RSRQ – -10db

RSSNR – 20db

And *please* don't say this issue is because my signal is low. It just started happening this past Monday, the 25th of September.

MARGAY31
Enthusiast - Level 1

This didn't Correct the problem....02717 Is my zip code.

On Sep 28, 2017 6:48 PM, "vzw_customer_support" <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Looks like a good signal to me. I think if you are getting that kind of variance in pings, that could be an issue, but maybe not with the tower itself. In your situation I'd be looking at traceroute and mtr (and Android apps that support them if necessary) perhaps to see where in the network chain to the address you are pinging is introducing the latency.

0 Likes
02sti
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's really sad. I've been with Verizon for a very long time. I never had any issues in my home of 8 years until a few months ago. No changes were made to my home or in the area. I thought after Verizon opened a ticket that would fix it, but they concluded everything was fine. I went and even bought a new $900 phone and I'm still dealing with terrible service. The only option they left me was to buy an overpriced signal booster... They may be losing my family as a long time customer if something isn't done soon!

Zip is 33761

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would hate to lose your preference. Having reliable service for your phone is important for me as well and we would love to help. Is this issue occurring indoors or outdoors? Has there recently been any home improvements done to your home?

ChristianP_VZW

0 Likes
wiredlaw

Same thing here.  I've been a Verizon customer since it was PacTel Cellular!  Always because of the coverage.  Suddenly, in my home office, same place I've been sitting for years, and throughout my house, my reception is terrible.  Just got the Network Cell Info Lite, and the numbers are dismal.

Serving Cell -120

RSRQ -20

RSSNR -9.6

What happened, and what can I do?  I got rid of my landline many years ago.

0 Likes