Poor Cell Service at 02067
covecape
Enthusiast - Level 2

Starting the middle of last week the cell service dropped.  Location is on Oakland Road and cross street is Main street in Sharon, MA. Service is poor inside and out.  One bar to no service.  Tablet shows -112 db.  Phone showed -109db.  Another phone showed one bar to no service.  Picked up a new iPhone SE 2020 yesterday and have same problem.  On rare occasions it goes to two bars but won't hold connections.  WIFI cellular won't hold as when it sees the cell signal momentarily it drops.  Tried to talk to tech service but couldn't hold connection and when called on landline they clicked off.  Previously had good service.

0 Likes
Re: Poor Cell Service at 02067
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congrats on your new iPhone. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I had the opportunity to check the coverage and no outages show up for your area. Let's do some troubleshooting to fix this concern. Can we make sure LTE and Roaming are both on fir both voice and data? What happens when you use data?

0 Likes
covecape
Enthusiast - Level 2

Right now tablet is -106 and phone is cycling between one and two bars, mostly one.  LTE and roaming are on for both and have been.  Data is working but a little slow.  Nights are usually better while daytime is the problem.  Have been working from home because of Covid.  As an office manager for a funeral home I need to be using both my landline and cellphone all day long.  It was fine with no problems until last Wednesday or Thursday when I couldn't receive calls on the cell phone.  I can't work at the facility because of possible exposure and I have asthma.

0 Likes
covecape
Enthusiast - Level 2

By the way I switched off WIFI so I wouldn't be getting the data through that while testing.

0 Likes
covecape
Enthusiast - Level 2

I didn't want to disturb my friend the police chief who lives next door, as his brother-in-law just died, but I sent him an email offering him condolences and asking the status of his cell service as he has a great need for it.

0 Likes
covecape
Enthusiast - Level 2

The police chief is using Sprint because it gives good service.  Maybe we should switch.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your service. I know how I depend on my phone for just about everything. I'm more than happy to take a deeper look into this to see if we can pinpoint what's going on, this way it can be resolved quickly. 

In all honesty, the bars on a cellphone are not an accurate representation of signal strength. They are an aesthetic representation of the signal strength. The signal strength is measured by decibels. Depending upon the make and the model of the phone, there can be quite a bit of fluctuation between the bars on one phone to another phone.

For example, if an algorithm of your phone says that for every 10 db you will see a bar and your friend's phone manufacturer has set it such that for every 15 db a bar will appear, their signal will always appear to be weaker even though they may be receiving more dbs (40 dbs which would be 2 bars as opposed to 30 which would show 3 bars). Bars could be compared to a gas gauge where they give you a general idea of what the signal strength is, but not the actual strength.

That said, what happens when you try to make a call, and besides the number of bars you see what issue are you having using your data?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for keeping us posted. We will continue interacting via Private Note.

GilbertoL_VZW

0 Likes
covecape
Enthusiast - Level 2

Outside in driveway in Field Test Mode on new iPhone SE 2020 rsrp0 -113 rsrp1 -128.  On tablet mobile networks signal strength -112.  On calls they sometimes come in and other times they don't.  If they come in or on outgoing they sometimes drop.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure you receive good service in your area as well, please meet us in the Private Message for further assistance. 

AnnaG_VZW

0 Likes