Poor Coverage and Getting Worse
jfpoje
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been a Verizon customer for nearly 20 years.  For most of that time, I have stuck with Verizon because the coverage was hands down the best.

Over the last 2 years, Verizon's coverage has gotten worse and worse.  I live in the populous suburbs of Chicago, not in the stix.  I work in a major government office, also in the suburbs.  Yet, if I walk from one side of my house to another, I lose any call I'm on.  My phone doesn't even ring sitting on my desk in my office.

And that's just voice coverage.  At work, 6 out of 10 times I can't get anything better than a 1x data signal, let alone LTE.  I may as well just use my phone as a paperweight during the day, and at home I have to go through my home's wi-fi to be able to do anything on it.

Verizon needs to resolve it's coverage issues quickly.  It is about that time that I take my business somewhere else.

Tags (2)
Re: Poor Coverage and Getting Worse
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jfpoje, having reliable services that you can depend on is always the experience that we want for you to have. I would never want to lose you as part of the VZW Family. I can understand your concern and want to look into this closely. I wanted to ask if you have only noticed this issue with your device? If so I would like for us to troubleshoot this matter. What is the zip code that you are experiencing this issue?

-Roni

Tags (1)
jfpoje
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

My wife’s phone has significant connection issues while in our home as well.  I obviously can’t speak to whether her phone works at my place of work.

Zip codes in question are 60526 and 60153.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for those details, jfpoje.

We always want you to have the best wireless experience with our services. Please allow me to explain that indoor use is a challenge for all carriers. In a case like this, where the trouble is indoors only, generally the relevant factor is going to be proximity to cell site. Due to physics, radio frequencies get reduced penetration through solid materials and thus indoor signal is hampered when compared to outdoor signal. This is the reason you may notice a difference when stepping outside. As no carrier can guarantee indoor coverage, we partner with our manufacturers to build indoor solutions such as WiFi Calling. Now that the devices have advanced, a Network Extender is no longer needed. WiFi Calling is free and unlimited, and it is a great indoor solution. Your phone can utilize your WiFi signal for calls, just like you do for data. Check out this page for more information: https://www.verizon.com/support/wifi-calling-faqs/

-Jordan

jessicahodges28
Enthusiast - Level 1

I live and work in the same areas as I always have. My coverage has continuously gotten worse over the past year. Calls are dropping, not being able to make calls, texts not coming through. My work tablet is also Verizon and has the same problems. I even upgraded my phone to see if that would help and that was a nightmare bc now all numbers that aren’t saved in my phone just say, “wireless caller” and I can’t see the number at all. I’m a nurse so I can’t tell if it’s a doctors office calling me or someone that can wait until I’m finished with what I’m doing. Verizon blames Apple. Apple blames Verizon. Finally Verizon said it’s a call filter that came pre installed on the phone that they can’t de activate, that apple put on their. But, the phone I had prior didn’t do it. So, I hate the new phone and the coverage. 

EADR
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same issue in San Francisco - verizon has always been the best and now it is TERRIBLE - same areas, horrific coverage 

94116 and 94117

also seriously considering changing carriers 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hearing that you're experiencing service issues in two zip codes in San Francisco, is very concerning, as Verizon has fantastic service coverage there. We apologize for your inconvenience and we'll do everything we can to get this resolved.

How long have you been experiencing service issues in both zip codes? Can you tell us which of your services is being affected? (e.g., calls, texting, web browsing, etc.) Is this happening while you're indoors, outdoors, or both?-Robert C.

aviva5675
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'll chime in here. I live in semi-rural central Florida. Had ATT and switched to Verizon about 6 weeks ago because coverage was better for us. Were on a prepaid month plan and things were pretty good. Switched to a regular 2 line post paid plan and now coverage and service is noticeably worse. What's going on? We are on a Galay s21 and an Iphone 11, so not old phones. Why would service decline after switching plans??  Not happy with the switch now.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to have an excellent wireless experience with your postpaid plan as you did with your prepaid plan, aviva5675. You have fabulous devices and we are confident that we can improve your wireless service experience. What specific service is impacted (calls, text messages, data), and how?

What is the ZIP code, and the nearest street intersection to the trouble location?

Do you have a WiFi network available in the trouble location? -Antonio

0 Likes
EADR
Enthusiast - Level 3

this has probably been happening for about the last 8 months? I am not sure exactly, but I have little to no service in almost any building and almost total dead zones at my two primary locations - zip code 94117  - Buena Vista East and Duboce and my home 94116 - 19th Ave and Vicente. I have already enabled wifi assisted calling, and it is a poor solution because calls drop as I move from place to place in my house.

I have been trying to figure out why it is happening and I have been unsuccessful in finding a solution. It is not just my phone, but also my kids - so it is a larger problem than just me. My daughter works in real estate and she says she no longer has service in any home she goes to in San francisco. It is almost like the signal has gotten weaker everywhere.