Poor Signal Strength - Zip 30220
Eyesaflame
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been with Verizon for over 20 years - went with Verizon because they had the best signal strength in the rural area I live in.  These days, quality is hard to come by.  Who thought Verizon would fall in line with this poor business practice.  I've read many posts concerning a decrease in signal strength lately, with Verizon neither offering a good explanation or resolution.  I noticed the signal strength reduction significantly about a week & a half ago.  3 devices could not access the internet at all (cell phone, jet pack, tablet), for several hours.  My daughter was in live class for school, & couldn't return to her class.  I thought maybe it was a fluke that day, but the strength has not returned to what it once was.  I attempted to call Verizon that day, twice - was on hold over 45 minutes both times & never talked to anyone.  Who has time to wait like that?  Clearly, it's not a device issue, since 3 different devices are having the same issue.  Also, this has never happened in the past, no matter how much data was used for the month.  We rely on Verizon to access the internet, as there are no providers in my area that offer dsl internet access.  Our only other option is dish access, which isn't practical, especially during bad weather.  Sadly, I will be shopping around for another service, as this is ridiculous.  I pay a lot of money to Verizon for unlimited data.  What's the point when you can't even access the internet?  I'm throwing my money away.  Too bad Verizon....maybe you got too big too fast, or maybe you've purposely done this for 5G.  I can't say.....& obviously, neither can your employees.

0 Likes
Re: Poor Signal Strength - Zip 30220
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

First, I do want to thank you for your 20 years of loyalty. I am a consumer myself so I understand being able to have the internet on all your devices. I would love to help and see what is going on. We truly care and want to make sure that you have internet service. Can you tell me more about what type of speeds you have? www.speedtest.net What is your current plan? Does your service improve when you leave the area? Does it happen at a certain time of the day? Please make sure you answer all questions so we can better help you. AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
Eyesaflame
Enthusiast - Level 2
Hi Amber,

I wanted to wait until my plan reset so I could check the speeds I am getting, just to prove that it doesn't matter if the high speed data goes over the limits for the hot spots.  The best speed was done at 6 AM on 9/2, with 48.98 mbps download speed. The last test was done a few minutes ago with 14.4 mbps download speed / 1.14 mbps upload speed.  There is no way to attach a screen shot to this post to show the upload / download speeds.

To answer your questions:

I have the single smartphone unlimited plan. I've had this same plan for a few years now.

The service improves when I'm in a more populated area.

I have seen the speed improve during off-peak times, but not always.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for checking back in with us Eyesaflame, the information you shared helps greatly. Your speedtest results are both well above normal 4G range. Are you experiencing lag during both of those speeds?

Melissa_VZW 

0 Likes
Eyesaflame
Enthusiast - Level 2

Those 2 speeds are not the norm, however.  I've listed several normal download speeds below from the speedtest history.  Yesterday (9/12/20), the internet was out completely from 1:30 pm until this morning.  Verizon advised there was an outage in my area, but could not explain why.  This was the 2nd outage since I've been a Verizon customer, both within the last month.  Not a good record, & if this does not improve, I will be going elsewhere.

9/2 @ 7:53 pm: 3.72 mbps

9/3 @ 3:55 pm: 6.78 mbps

9/5 @ 9:58 pm: 1.10 mbps

9/6 @ 4:17 pm: 0.88 mbps

9/6 @ 8:45 pm: 0.57 mbps

9/7 @ 11:27 am: 2.33 mbps

9/8 @ 4:20 pm: 14.4 mbps

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Our aim is for the 4G speeds to average 5 to 12 Mbps, per the link below. You mentioned that 3 devices are impacted, but what is the make and model of the device you measured those speeds on?
What are the make and models of the other two?

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-16543/

0 Likes