Poor data service in Durham NC
apatt

I spend a lot of time in North West Durham NC in area code 27705 and the data service there is practically non-existent. I've never had issues with calls but can't do anything with the data service.

Please see the attached map for the signal report from opensignal. Seems odd to have such poor service right in the middle of a heavily populated area. Even though the coverage map for ATT shows nearly identical (poor) signal, I never had issues getting on the network with them. I switched to Verizon two months ago. Any help would be much appreciated.

VerizonServiceMap.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Poor data service in Durham NC
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm guessing that the local planning and building commission or jurisdiction could have restrictions on the amount of towers or strength of signal in that area. It is also possible the trunk feeder lines are not fiber optic cables or not sized to handle the increased transmission of voice and data. It is also possible that the existing towers haven't been improved to better handle the data traffic either because of local resistance or lack of approval from the building commission. Since it looks like your area of concern is around the Duke University campus, there is also a lot of people who use their mobile devices creating congestion on the towers.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Welcome to the Verizon family, Apatt. We do take a lot of pride in our network, so we want to ensure we're helping out in any way we can. I appreciate the details you've shared so far. When you're in that location, what data speeds do you get? You mentioned it doesn't affect calls or texts, so what exactly happens when you are trying to use the data there?

KarolineD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

apatt

Sorry, I've been traveling out of state the past couple weeks and I'm just now getting back to this. I can't even run a speed test (times out trying to connect). So effectively I get zero speed because I can't actually get to anything. eMail client nerver syncs, can't hit Facebook, can't do a google search, etc. Completely unusable. Similar situations in other parts of town... I'll show 2 or 3 bars of signal but can't even send txt messages, even though the phone says its connected to LTE.

0 Likes
apatt

I should also mention, my wife's phone (we both have iPhone 7) has exactly the same problems, so not likely to be a handset issue.

0 Likes
apatt

Also opened ticket [Removed] for reference.

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate all the added details apatt. I know how important it is to have reliable service.

I checked the status of your ticket, and it's still being worked. It can take 3 to 5 days for us to receive a response.

I know the results of this ticket are very important to you. So we're going to be sure to keep you in the loop. You'll receive status updates by text message in 24, 48 and 96-hour increments. Our network team expects to have your ticket resolved in 3-5 days. You will receive a text message or a phone call to let you know the resolution. You will be periodically updated on your ticket status so you won't have to call in again.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Wabarnwell
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a Verizon service issue.  They weren't prepared for going unlimited data.  Join the class action suit and demand repayment

0 Likes