Poor service after severe weather in Geismar, LA
Bvannorman81

At the start of April, Geismar, LA had severe weather for multiple days in a row. Prior to this severe weather I had ZERO issues with my cell signal and regularly used my iphone 12 and ipad pro in a hotspot capacity as needed. After 4 days of extremely severe weather, the LTE coverage still shows 3 bars but the data is NON existent. I cannot use either device as a hotspot, and with 3 bars, I routinely received messages on both my ipad and my iphone that I have no internet connection. Prior to these storms I could often even get a 5G signal most of the time along River Road. Clearly the severe weather has done something to the cell towers as this is impacting not just me,  but everyone I work with who has verizon cell service at my plant. How do we report this so hopefully the towers get repaired so the data actually works??

0 Likes
Re: Poor service after severe weather in Geismar, LA
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Reaching us here is the 1st and best step. I'm sad to hear your service has been impacted after the storms, but we're dedicated to providing the best service possible. 

There aren't any outages reported but let's dig to see what's happening. Please tell me, are the Roaming setting on? What exactly happens when you use your device? VCarter_VZW

0 Likes
Bvannorman81

Roaming settings are on. Nothing has changed in the settings of my phone.

My phone indicates that i have 3 bars of LTE service. However, when attempting to use the data capabilities to connect to the internet, the performance is so poor that often I receive messages from Safari stating that there is no internet connection. This isn't a matter of tower connection affecting data. This definitely started immediately following the sever weather at the beginning of April for this area. 

Prior to that, both my ipad pro on LTE and my iphone 12 pro accessed data services on the verizon network without issues.

I could stream videos, i could use my devices as a hotspot and download things. I'm not out of high speed data as my devices are on unlimited plans, and I've not even used all of my hotspot data on my devices either.

The phones behave as if they have a slow 3G 1 bar data connection.

0 Likes
Bvannorman81

Also 9 times out of 10 i had a 5 G connection on my iphone. My iphone is actually set to 5G only when its available, and now I NEVER get 5G. There have not been any new buildings, or trees, or loads of new people in a rural area.

Initially I was willing to maybe blame it on my iphone, but since it is affecting my iphone AND my ipad equally, it is absolutely a tower issue. Cellular calls are fine and crystal clear. Its the data that has slowed to nonexistence

0 Likes
Bvannorman81

According to SpeedTest with 3 bars LTE connection (and remember calls are crystal clear with no drops)

Download speed is 0.13Mbps and upload is 2.39Mbps

This is the same on the ipad.

Once I leave this area and move into another cell tower area the speeds jump up substantially on 3 bars. Heck even 1 bar of LTE performs faster elsewhere.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for sharing those details, Bvannorman81. Your time is valuable, & we want to ensure your service concerns are resolved. I've sent you a Private Message & look forward to working with you.

KiaH_VZW

0 Likes