Poor to none coverage in Apartment
bdoshi

So I moved to this new apartment location in Manhattan - NY city and the 4G connection sucks in my apartment. it keeps switching between 3G and 4G and 1X may be 1 bar at max and super slow data internet speed. Dropped phone calls when i move between rooms.

Few months ago i moved to verizon edge so now I am stuck the verizon till my edge contract is up and now I am in a location with a dead cell zone.

I even see others have reported same apartment location with issue.

http://www.deadcellzones.com/verizon.html#.VWSp_kaXR64

What options do i have now? Is there a way to engage Verizon to come to apartment and check out what the issue is?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Poor to none coverage in Apartment
rcschnoor
Legend

bdoshi wrote:

What options do i have now?

Your options are to purchase a network extender for use in conjunction with your broadband internet connection if you have one, live with the service you have or move to another provider.

bdoshi wrote:

Is there a way to engage Verizon to come to apartment and check out what the issue is?

Would it be helpful to know what the problem is, or would it make you more frustrated to know what the problem is and STILL have inadequate service??? Simply knowing the problem will not make the problem go away and will be unlikely to speed up any type of improvement in the service. Erecting additional towers is a very time consuming endeavor, sometimes taking years just to get the necessary approvals from local governments before Verizon is even allowed to start.

If cellular service is important in your apartment, you should start looking for another provider if you are unwilling to get a network extender.

View solution in original post

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

If it's a known issue then you're kind of out of luck. Other than alerting Verizon that service is poor in that area in hopes they get the point. They aren't going to run out and throw together a tower for you. A mobile service booster might be a good option.

Do other companies get better service in your building? How much is left on your edge contract? Which phone do you have? Are you able to make calls over Wi-Fi? There might be an app for that option, or an extra service charge; I haven't used Wi-Fi for calls since I was on T-Mobile years ago.

If you have a nice new phone that you could sell for $200 and you have $250 left on your edge contract then you could sell your phone and you're only out $50. Once your Edge contract is paid off you become a month to month customer and can cancel your service at any time; assuming you don't have multiple lines. You'd need to verify all of this by calling in to customer service because I obviously don't know what plan you're on.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

My opinion is that if you cannot get Verizon to give you an extender, pay off your phone, sell it, use that money to buy a phone on a carrier that you KNOW works in your location.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

bdoshi wrote:

What options do i have now?

Your options are to purchase a network extender for use in conjunction with your broadband internet connection if you have one, live with the service you have or move to another provider.

bdoshi wrote:

Is there a way to engage Verizon to come to apartment and check out what the issue is?

Would it be helpful to know what the problem is, or would it make you more frustrated to know what the problem is and STILL have inadequate service??? Simply knowing the problem will not make the problem go away and will be unlikely to speed up any type of improvement in the service. Erecting additional towers is a very time consuming endeavor, sometimes taking years just to get the necessary approvals from local governments before Verizon is even allowed to start.

If cellular service is important in your apartment, you should start looking for another provider if you are unwilling to get a network extender.

bdoshi

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know this was going to be issue with coverage in that apartment.

I have Galaxy s6 and almost have 22 months of Edge contract left as I got it in April.

Wifi seems to be fine for data but not for phone calls. Phone calls still drop randomly.

I will contact Verizon and report the issue then lets see what they say.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

You could consider the usual fixes for poor signal which are:

Removing the Sim card and reinserting

Reset network settings

Replace Sim card for free at Verizon corporate store

Factory reset phone

However it doesn't seem like those are the problem, it just seems like a poor service area.

0 Likes