Porting number from Google Voice to Verizon-New Number on Verizon
MarkWGL

I am a Verizon customer and am going to be getting changing my iPhone to a new phone number in a new area code from Verizon. Due to this I want to transfer my old phone number to Google Voice.  I have the following questions:

-Verizon told me as soon as I get the new number with Verizon my old number will no longer be available and I will lose it.  I assume this means I can no longer port it to Google Voice.  Does this mean I need to port my old number to Google Voice and make sure it is ported before I then get a new number with Verizon?

-For any of you familiar with Verizon assuming the above is correct what will happen on the Verizon side?  Will I lose my line or will I simply be able to go into my account and then select a new phone number for my line that I ported from?

I have many people who have my old number so I don't want to risk losing it. I use it for 2 Factor Authentication on many accounts. I will be updating it to the new number but I can't do that until I have the new number.  I just want to make sure during this process I am able to safely get my old number to Google Voice and then get a new number on Verizon.

Thanks in advance for any help.
0 Likes
Re: Porting number from Google Voice to Verizon-New Number on Verizon
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, MarkWGL. We certainly are happy to assist with any questions that you have. To clarify, would you like to know if you can transfer the old phone number that you have to Google Voice to use while also having a new phone number with Verizon Wireless? -Brett

0 Likes
MarkWGL

Yes, that is correct. I want to transfer one of the 4 lines on my account to Google Voice since I will be changing that phone number. I then want to get a new phone number on the phone that I am transferring the old number out to Google Voice.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MarkWGL, thank you for confirming this information. We can understand the importance of wanting to make sure you do not lose your current mobile number. Let's go over the details. Whenever you "Port Out a Phone Number" this will remove/disconnect the line of service it is on. We do not offer a way for you to Transfer this phone number while keeping the line of service active. 

Can you please let us know if you have an active device payment agreement/promotion on your current phone number? What is the Make/Model of your new device?  -Sylvia

0 Likes
MarkWGL

My phone is no longer under a payment agreement/promotion.  

Now once I port out my current phone number to Google Voice I understand that my current phone will be removed from the line of service.  Is it possible for me to then contact Verizon to simply have my phone added again to my plan and then get the new phone number at that time?

As mentioned I have 3 other phones on my plan.  Also, the current phone I have is an iPhone XR although I have considered upgrading to an iPhone 13 or iPhone 13 Pro if there's any promotion going on.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Most definitely! You can absolutley contact us again for a new number, after the port is complete. If you run into any issues during this process, please don't hesitate to let us know. *Damien

0 Likes