Porting number
walker2

I currently have Verizon and have had them for over 10 years. I’ve been divorced for 2 and I’m tired of my ex husband being on my account. In those 2 years I have been trying to get him off my account (I am the account owner). I have released his number more than I should have but he refuses to take himself off because they will do a credit check and he doesn’t/ can’t pay the fee to get his own account. During this time he has upgraded and is in a contract, I am no longer in a contract.

If I go to another company and port my phone, will Verizon allow me to do so since I am the owner?

0 Likes
Re: Porting number
dizzy442
Enthusiast - Level 3
You can move to another carrier but since your name is on the account, you are still responsible for the account. If the account goes into collection for non payment, it will be on your credit.
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us about this. If you were to port only your number out of VZW, the remaining line would still remaing active on VZW which means the account woudl still be active. EdgarT_VZW

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you are the account owner, I wonder if you can have your ex's line transferred to a prepaid account under Verizon Wireless. Prepaid accounts have less credit checks than a postpaid account. If your ex is agreeable, you can get it under his name and his payment method. That way you would no longer be responsible for the line and it is removed from your account. Once you have verified the line is removed from your account, you are free to port your number to another carrier if you choose. 

Otherwise, since he won't take responsibility for the line voluntarily, you can either get a court order as part of the divorce procedure or you can cancel the line altogether and pay whatever cancelation fee is necessary for that line as you are the financially responsible person on the account. Cancelation of the line would result in the loss of the phone number. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes