Re: Postal Service Discounts for retirees.
azmtngirl
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is another thought. Could this be age discrimination as well. Basically as retirees we all are probably in lets say a certain age group LOL . I am not going to divulge my age here. But seriously, ya think?

0 Likes
Dusty821

Also contact your Congressman, I just did.

Will update when I get anything back.

0 Likes
Scott3
Enthusiast - Level 3

After talking once again to customer support, my issue has been resolved to my satisfaction. I have updated my issue under Update on retiree discounts.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello jhlankford,

The last thing I would want is to see you leave the VZW family! I am a huge fan of discounts as well, so I completely understand that every penny counts now. I'm confident we can find the best plan for your usage that has the most value! What plan do you currently have? What does your usage look like?

We have a free tool that will provide you these details! Please see: http://vz.to/14Ea6sh to get usage details and the best plan suggestions!

Please keep me posted so we can review your options together!

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand that it is upsetting when discounts change. We do offer discounts for some retirees, but not all companies. This is based on our agreement with the company. Our agreement with the US Postal Service is based on the number of currently employed users. Unfortunately the customer agreement we have with you doesn't state that we are required to offer discounts once retired.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jhlankford
Enthusiast - Level 2

MelissaM_VZW,

Thanks for the reply. However, I have the leanest plan that I want. That info is available to you to look at, I'm sure. What I would require to stay a customer is simple. Leave my discount intact. I worked 32 years at the U.S. Postal Service. I am not working elsewhere. My wife IS eligible for the same discount through her employer, however, I understand that switching the account over to her would automatically be a one year contract. We have 3 lines of service with 3 iPhones. Two are clear of contract. One has 45 days left. That line will be jettisoned once that day has passed, leaving us with two lines of service going forward.

Here's the deal. Leave my discount intact... we stay, and probably upgrade the two remaining lines to 5s's, if I can be assured that we won't be doing this dance again down the road. But, once the discount is removed, we leave, no ands, ifs or buts. I don't need the hassle and hoop jumping to try and make pretty with Verizon to get the discount back once it is gone. My wife also gets discount with every major carrier. And, frankly, Verizon isn't the best discount. The service is about the same in our area as the other players in the mobile communication market. However, as I'm sure you would point out, I agree that the service throughout the U.S. is superior with Verizon. It's the principal... and MY money.

Loyalty works BOTH ways.

Scott3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dusty821..................

You're headed in the right direction. Call them and talk to them over the phone. Like I said had to extend to full year. Worked for me. Good luck!

0 Likes
reddog210

I too am a recent USPS retiree. I too am losing my discount which I have enjoyed since I first joined the Verizon family. I signed my 2 year agreement with the understanding that my discount would run the length of my contract. If and when my discount is stopped, I believe that will be a breach of contract and I will take any and all action to dissolve my contract.

I don't believe that Verizon realizes how many new USPS retirees there are. The last 2 buyouts have resulted in USPS personnel retiring in record numbers. I have seen discounts of up to 25% from other cell phone providers for USPS retirees. I will absolutely switch to receive these discounts.

If all else fails and I MUST continue my contract with no discount then I guess Verizon will receive an extra $30 a month for the next 6 months but in turn lose $180 a month thereafter, FOREVER. Not a solid business decision, ya think?

0 Likes
Kimaline
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also upset about losing this discount and have been a loyal customer for years.  Every discount is needed in retirement and as a consumer I vote with my wallet.

Positive word of mouth on the workroom floor prior to my retirement from USPS for the Verizon Co. about their service and discounts moved many of my fellow employees to become new and continuing loyal customers.  Now the reverse will happen. The unions and associations that represent the hundreds of thousands of employees and retirees are getting word of this.  I think AARP is a good outlet for this discussion also and I will be sending this information to them. 

This decision is discriminatory.  I would encourage all USPS retirees to notify their union or association rep's and share this. 

0 Likes
Kimaline
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for sharing, Good to know!

0 Likes