Question about Returning Verizon Phone bought at Target, then porting my # to Sprint
Custnam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello I have a question that Im sure someone here will be able to answer. I recently (4-13) bought a Verizon Galaxy S3 from Targets online Cell store which is actually Simplicity.com. I also activated my 2 year contract on that date as well. I decided I wanted to switch to Sprint and I preordered the Galaxy S4. I spoke to both Sprint, and Verizons port departments about this, and what I needed to do.  Verizon said in order to port my # I needed to keep the line active. He was going to give me a dummy ESN, but I was able to get a working Verizon flip phone to use instead. I switched my # over to this phone, and sent the Target Galaxy S3 back to them today. It will get to them on the 24th, and I have until the 26th before the 14 days are up. My Sprint Galaxy S4 is suppose to get to me by 4-27-13. So heres my question. Will I be charged an ETF by Verizon if I keep that # and my contract open past the 14 days and then cancel, or does this only apply to getting the phone back within the 14 days? I know I will be charged for the usage, activation, etc. But Im hoping that the ETF only applies to the phone itself, or does it also apply to the contract?

And if I would still have to pay an ETF  then could I just switch to a prepaid plan to keep the number active and avoid the ETF? Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question about Returning Verizon Phone bought at Target, then porting my # to Sprint
Custnam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok. I just got out of a chat with Verizon and got the info I needed. Heres what they said. When Target gets the S3 back on the 24th (3 days prior the the 14th day), that will cancel the contract. Since I own the LG phone it is not under contract. So I will be able to use this until the port goes through and not have an ETF when the account gets canceled even after the 14 days. The LG phone is not under any contract, and therefore will not have any ETF. I will only owe usage, and the other standard fees after Sprint ports the # over, thus canceling the account that the LG in under.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Question about Returning Verizon Phone bought at Target, then porting my # to Sprint
spitxfire
Contributor - Level 3

If you cancel after 14 days that is breaking contract, incurring that ETF.  Returning that phone within 14 days you'll get refunded for the phone, but charged for the time you used it and activation or upgrade fee, however you did it and restocking fee.  After 14 days that is breaking the contract for that device if you don't replace it with another one.

I don't get going through all this nonsense to get the fanciest and newest phone, but to each their own.  But yeah, you're on the money with everything you said.

0 Likes
Custnam
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I was talking to the port dept he assured me that the ETF only applied to getting the phone back within 14 days, and that I would not be charged an ETF if I kept the # active past the 14 day period. It didnt sound right to me so I asked him several times. So I dont know why he said that.

So how much is the ETF then? Its a standard flip phone plan.

0 Likes
spitxfire
Contributor - Level 3

The ETF would still be for the phone you originally signed up for, switching from basic to smart and so on won't change what it started, so if you're still on the first month of the smart phone it's $350, goes down $10 every month, basic starts out $175, goes down $5 every month.

0 Likes
Custnam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok. So I need to cancel the contract within the 14 days to avoid the ETF. Any ideas on how I could keep the # active long enough to get it ported over? It should be the 27th that I get the new phone, which is one day passed the 14th day. PS: Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
spitxfire
Contributor - Level 3

Unfortunately no, ports can vary too, sometimes 2-10 days.  I say just stick with VZW until they get the S4, should be by the end of May, I get waiting stinks but this may be more of a hassle than it's worth.

0 Likes
Custnam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Its not just the phone I am doing this for. I decided to go with Sprint for a cheaper plan.

0 Likes
Custnam
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to the port department of Sprint they said they already have the port approved. Verizon verified this. So considering this, if I canceled my Verizon service prior to the actual port would that prevent it? Or since it is already approved would I be able to cancel the Verizon service and still have the successful port?

0 Likes
Custnam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok. I just got out of a chat with Verizon and got the info I needed. Heres what they said. When Target gets the S3 back on the 24th (3 days prior the the 14th day), that will cancel the contract. Since I own the LG phone it is not under contract. So I will be able to use this until the port goes through and not have an ETF when the account gets canceled even after the 14 days. The LG phone is not under any contract, and therefore will not have any ETF. I will only owe usage, and the other standard fees after Sprint ports the # over, thus canceling the account that the LG in under.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

My concern would be with Simplicity. Who knows how long it takes them to, 'Process' the phone for cancellation. They have their own contract with you also. So they could conceivably wait 15 days to complete the cancellation.

Now you have a $350 ETF from VZW and a $400 ETF from Simplicity and no phone. I am very weary of the 3rd party sellers. I am sure many have good results, but I have read horror stories also.

Let us know the outcome.

0 Likes