Re: What does the 1x mean beside the service bars?
jseramur
Enthusiast - Level 1

49601, 49638. No Service or 1x at best with no voice or data capability. 

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

1X or 1xRTT is the slowest and oldest cellular technology used by Verizon Wireless.  It basically means the phone isn't connected to the LTE or 3G network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Just and FYI this also means you’re in an area with no coverage at the end of 2019. If this is a regular problem, you need to consider changing carriers by the end of the year 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's really disheartening to hear you have little to no service in those two areas, jseramur. While Ann154 was correct about the 1x (also known as 2G) technology being the oldest network we currently offer and mama23dogs is correct that with the CDMA retirement described at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/ the 1x and 3G technologies will eventually stop working, we absolutely don't want to see you considering another carrier. I'd like to make sure you are not left without service in the areas you need us the most and find out a little more about what's causing you to have difficulties in 49601 and 49638. To be certain we head down the best path for a solution to restore the voice and data capability to your device if possible, what model phone are you using? Does the difficulty with signal and connectivity happen when you're near a particular intersection in either of those towns? When did you being to notice the 1x or no service in those areas?

JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

zNickMan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon, do you plan on upgrading towers that only 1x?

zNickMan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I suppose a better question will be can I continue to use extended Network in 2020

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@zNickMan wrote:

Verizon, do you plan on upgrading towers that only 1x?

The tower that broadcast the 1xRTT and 3G EDVO network will be converted to broadcast the 4G LTE or 5G network. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

zNickMan, we truly understand the importance of making sure you have reliable service. We would like the opportunity to further review the details of your concern. Are you currently having service concerns in your area? What services are impacted (calls, text, data)? May we have your nearest intersection, City, and zip code so we can accurately pinpoint your location?

SylviaT_VZW

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the importance of having a reliable connection for your area. With regard to the area, you can submit a survey related to your area regarding service issues here

http://spr.ly/66041Bk3i.

Just to make sure we have looked into everything, what is your current location? When did you start having issues?

JasperM_VZW

wbhouses

I've had the same problem since updating the software on my iPhone 6 - no cellular connection and no service unless I'm using wifi. Sorry to have trusted apple with their updates.

0 Likes