Red flag?: Your account has just been suspended
devongnall

I just got an automated call from Tulsa, OK (not too far from where I live) that said “Your account has just been suspended” and asked me to press 1 to reactive. I’m not sure if I remember exactly but I think it said to press 2 to speak to someone. 

When I pressed 1, it asked for me account pin then the last four digits of my social security number. I stupidly put in both and then it said that your account was reactivated and automatically started to hang up. 

Right after hanging up I started to think about it and started to panic. I literally had service as I was being called and my bill was just paid. Does Verizon actually do this? What can an illegitimate person do with only my account number and last digits of SSN? 

0 Likes
Re: Red flag?: Your account has just been suspended
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@devongnall wrote:

I just got an automated call from Tulsa, OK (not too far from where I live) that said “Your account has just been suspended” and asked me to press 1 to reactive. I’m not sure if I remember exactly but I think it said to press 2 to speak to someone. 

When I pressed 1, it asked for me account pin then the last four digits of my social security number. I stupidly put in both and then it said that your account was reactivated and automatically started to hang up. 

Right after hanging up I started to think about it and started to panic. I literally had service as I was being called and my bill was just paid. Does Verizon actually do this? What can an illegitimate person do with only my account number and last digits of SSN? 

They may be able to make changes on your account including ordering devices.  You should change your PIN immediately and notify Verizon Security/Fraud (888-483-7200).  With your SSN they may be able to get into other accounts of yours, banks, credit cards, etc.  You should monitor/change security measures as well. Check with your bank/credit card companies.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

devongnall, this was a phishing attempt to access your account and we never make phone calls to let a customer know their account has been suspended like this. We encourage changing your My Verizon password online including your Account PIN. Thank you and please let us know if you need help with anything else.

- Alan

0 Likes
jroberts092

I just received that same call.  I hung up on them.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Spam, phishing emails & texts, and robocalls are on the rise. If you receive any suspicious communications from someone who says they are Verizon, we want to know about it. You can also report fraud to the Federal Trade Commission: https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/?orgcode=VZWL.

~Gilbert

0 Likes