Request for feature: Safety mode on demand, anyone interested?
madbrad

I've seen discussions where customers were asking for the ability to apply Safety Mode per line (as an enhancement to Family Base).

That way when the kids hit their limit, they would go into safety mode instead of being cut off entirely.

That sounds great to me, but I'd also like to be able to turn on Safety Mode on demand. That way I can try it out to see what I can and can't do with it, and I'd like to enable it when I'm out of town so the kids don't gobble up all our data.

Even better would be to be able to schedule times for safety mode to kick in, so I can make sure guests can check their email, but not burn my data by (as has happened) updating their phone's software when they visit.

Would anyone else be interested in this? Any chance Verizon might be interested in providing this as a feature?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Request for feature: Safety mode on demand, anyone interested?
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

My concern is guests burning up your data. Are you providing them a Jetpack to connect to? I think the Safety Mode as an enhancement to FamilyBase is ok but I don't think that we really need to turn it on and off at will. That is really being complicated and could be something to potentially backfire.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

So you are saying you want to choose when data is slowed to a crawl, even if you are not at your limit?  Then go back to "normal" speed?  That is going to get complex fast...  Safety Mode, by definition, is a a data slowdown once you reach your limit.  I'm not sure it makes sense to slow it down and speed it up at will throughout the month.

And as to guests burning your data when they visit... you are using your wireless as your primary internet connection?  Simply say you have no broadband  connection available and they can get their email on THEIR data plan not yours.  I give friends and guests our wifi password, but we have cable internet and we don't come close to our cap, so it's a non-issue.  I would not give them access to my cellular connection though.

JASBRO77

I would like to see safety mode be able to limit how much data  each device can use on high speed. Once they have reached there limit they would still be able to use data but at the slower speed. Without affecting the other devices high speed usage. In m case I use very little data but in less than 3 weeks time my girlfriend has used about 1.5 gigs of my 2 gig data. Because she is on Facebook all the time at work.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds more like you need to change your data plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Safety mode on family base would make many people happy.

0 Likes