Re: [Resolved!] Verizon Wireless -> Google Voice Number Porting
jova33

I just started the porting process 6 hours ago, so I can't claim success yet. The only thing I'm curious about is, VZW has unlimited calling to VZW members. If I have all calls to made using GV, will it use my minutes to call other VZW members, or will it still count as in network calling?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Calls made to your Google Voice number will use Verizon minutes.  That's one of the major drawbacks of using GV.  I also started missing a lot of calls, so I stopped using my GV number except for text.

0 Likes
jova33

Well I did an AOL and acquired an unlimited data plan. I already have an account on Verizon and a number I've been using for 6 years. So since I can't just put my number onto the unlimited plan, I'm trying to use GV as an in between thing. Port my number to GV, and then port my number to the unlimited data line. This should work, right?

I'll just put a basic phone on my old account and use it for upgrades.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You should be able to do that, but you might have to wait until the unlimited data line of service is out of contract if it's not already.

0 Likes
jova33

Porting number to Google Voice was successful. 24 hours exact. Now time to port my number back to Verizon lol

0 Likes
zenunwired
Enthusiast - Level 1

Joined the community to thank the OP - and to add in another success story. Before I start my 'experience share', I think its pertinent to mention that I have the Galaxy S4 [Android]

1. Started the GV Port on Monday at about 3PM. Provided GV with personal details, phone number, billing PIN (you can set one up or change your current PIN on the VZW website after logging on to your account) and my account number (excluded the -00001 after my account number as suggested by other posters on this thread). Google charged me $20 to complete the port.
  2. On Tuesday morning, approximately at about 11AM, I logged into my VZW account and requested a new number (VZW's website states that this process is free if done online). At this time, my GV Port status showed "Number Change Pending". Once the new number was assigned to me by VZW (the number is issued instantly), I had to turn my phone off and wait a few minutes before turning it back on. When I turned my phone back on, it showed that the new number was active (no VZW notifications - just tried a test call from my landline).
  3. Almost 24 Hours down to the minute (so at about 3PM on Tuesday), I got an email from GV stating that my port was complete. On the GV website, I then added in my new number (under Settings>Phones), and set all calls (and texts) to forward to my new number. GV walked me through a couple of programming steps - and confirmed that my GV calls would be forwarded to my new VZW number. Please note that if you want GV to pick up your VM's, then you will need to activate Google voicemail on the GV website (Settings>Phones). Else, VZW voicemail will end up picking up your calls - and a message like "this user has a VM box that has not been set up" will play.
  4. I also opened up the GV app on my phone and changed the settings to "Make all calls through Google Voice". Also, I turned off the 'Messaging' app, and set the GV app as the default app for handling all texts.
  5. As of now, I can make and receive calls via the setup described above. Folks receiving calls from me see my GV number on their displays (so no need to update folks with my new number), and when I receive calls on my GV number, my VZW phone displays the number of the person trying to reach me (so no updating my contacts list). Low priced international calls, desktop-based texting, unlimited storage of texts/VM's/call-logs, here I come!
  6. My texts arent working yet, but GV states that it takes about 3 days before texting becomes active. When it does, I'm hoping that all texts will be routed via the GV app (I'm fairly certain that it will)

Other things to note:

• Banking Apps: Some banking apps that require verification codes to be sent via text might stop working. I just got an email from BOFA this morning asking me to reverify my mobile number. Need to fix this once GV texting becomes active
  • Messaging: Existing texts on your device cannot be backed up/imported into GV. That said, Google Play has a couple of free apps that backup your entire message archive under a separate label within your Gmail account

Hope this helps someone else out there in taking the plunge. Seems like the process is fairly straightforward unless you decide to skip some steps or if you are impatient and try to change things too quickly (I would really urge you against skipping steps, hurrying things up, etc. GV is completely automated, and getting "support" is almost impossible).

All the best!

jova33

Porting number back to Verizon semi successful. I called *611 to get it ported back immediately after it started working for GV. They put me on the line with Tier II support. Tier II is WAY more helpful than any other trouble-shoot off a script tech support. Anyway, Tier II explained you need to wait a few days for my number to be fully ported to GV before it could be ported back to VZW, but he did some wizardry and said he'd start the port back anyways. The port back to VZW takes a few days on its own because GV runs through land lines and isn't actually a wireless provider. But at least when I check the port center, it says my number is released and will be ported soon, and I'll receive a text msg with further instructions once it's complete. No changes to my unlimited plan either.

Calls and texts are working on GV. Just needed to turn off the call screening on GV webpage. That was annoying trying to take calls over bluetooth in my car.

0 Likes
Fuzzball

Instead of using GV as a middle man to port the number out to another carrier, can the number be moved to a new line first and then ported out? So, like many, I'm going to sell my grandfathered unlimited data and switch to another carrier. Would it be possible to add a line to my current account, move the number to the new line (I have an old phone if necessary), assign a new number to the original line, and then port out the target number to a new carrier? My goal is not to pay all the porting fees.

I've also considered just chancing it by directly porting the number to the new carrier and having a new number assigned while I'm in the new carrier's store via my laptop. I've heard that if they cancel it and do the ETF, I just need to talk with retentions to get the account put back in place with a new number. Hopefully someone can confirm this.

0 Likes
jova33

well if you're planning on selling your unlimited data plan and moving to another provider, there's another thread on that.

I don't know if i can post links, but here it is

>Discussion, videos, links, etc. concerning rooting are not permitted on this site per the VZW ToS<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator ><

0 Likes
jova33

and I'm pretty sure you can port a number in/out regardless of if the contract is up or not.

When I was on the phone with Tier II, I asked if there was a simpler way to switch a number I have to another line on my account. He said it's not possible to swap numbers like that while there's contract time remaining, but if your lines are out of contract you have more flexibility to do that.

Edit, and now MY number, is back on MY phone, on the unlimited data line that i did an AOL on. Yay.

0 Likes