Restocking Fee for an exchange???
Naoki
Enthusiast - Level 1

While I understand the need to charge a restocking fee for returns, I find it incredibly ridiculous that we are charged a restocking fee when it is an exchange for the same exact phone. My mother's phone was not working properly so she went to the verizon store to get it exchanged within 14 days as they mentioned, and the representative at our verizon wireless store charged my mother with the restocking fee in order to exchange her less-than-14-day old phone for another phone.

Then what she witnessed afterwards is disappointing. The phone that she had turned in was being wiped down carefully and put back into the box. Does that mean someone else will buy that phone as a "new" phone even though it was not working properly?

We almost feel as if we were scammed into getting a bad phone at first and then exchanged for a good phone afterwards.

Is this just an over-imaginative thought or does this seem highly possible for a company that will nickel and dime you at every thing possible.

This is upsetting as I've been with the company for a very long time and will have to consider other options when my contract ends soon.

Labels (1)
Re: Restocking Fee for an exchange???
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Sounds like you were at a Verizon Wireless Authorized Premium Retailer and not a Verizon Wireless Corporate store. Retailers are owned and operated independently of Verizon Wireless. All of the inventory in those stores is paid for by the proprietor out of pocket. They have to sell it. They shouldn't get away with putting a returned phone, defective or not, into a box and reselling it to someone else but it does happen.

At a corporate store if you have a defective device (very rare but it happens) and it needs to be exchanged for the same exact phone within 14 days there is no fee.

There are a couple of ways you can tell the difference between the two types of stores. First, below the big Verizon Wireless logo it will say Authorized Premium Retailer or the name of another company. Most people miss this when walking into one of these locations. Second, usually the phones on display are fake or non-working models. Third, your receipt is usually printed on 8 1/2" x 11" paper and not on regular receipt paper. It's a shame but I would call VZW customer support and see what can be done. When you purchase at one of these locations you must take it back there within the first 14 days. It's the same as if you went to Best Buy. After the first 14 days these locations won't even help you and they will direct you to a corporate store anyway. In which case a defective device is replaced with a Certified Like New Replacement no matter where it was originally purchased.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We really appreciate you contacting us here, Naoki.  We can understand how this situation could be baffling for you. As sprmankalel mentioned, when there is a problem with your phone within the first 14 days and you exchange for the same make/model at a corporate location there is no restocking fee http://bit.ly/IeiJI. Did you visit a store listed here http://bit.ly/3SdsA?

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Falcon4

yes, but that is wrong to charge when the phone is defective!

That is Verizon's fault if the phone is defective, so they should pay ME for the restocking I had to do.