Re: Ridiculous Upgrade Fee
Greta1234
Enthusiast - Level 1

It appears to me that all the responses under this complaint must be from Verizon employees who's job it is is to "fix" complaints on line.  Do you really think real customers would say "I think it's great that Verizon charges us an upgrade fee for our free upgrade".  Come on -- it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.  I think it is ridiculous too!  I bet this is yet again another "fee" that the Better Business Bureau could investigate and determine is WRONG and there will be a class suit against Verizon or something like that.  I have been a customer with Verizon for years and have spent literally thousands of dollars with them.  I truly think they are worse than rental cars sales but unfortunately they are the only one around where I live!  Nothing like sticking it to their customers.  I agree -- if anything, rather than charging an UPGRADE FEE they should be rewarding loyal customers.  I wish, I wish, I didn't have to use them as my carrier!  They are dishonest and sneeky!  And I can't wait to see the responses from their "damage control" employees!  Just wait ... you'll see!

Not applicable

In my opinion the upgrade fee is fine. What I hate is that verizon chooses to not mention it in the customer agreement. So if it is your 1st time upgrading since fee was put into effect you ***will not*** be told about it.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

First and foremost I am not a VZW employee.

Second the VZW instituted the upgrade fee in April of 2014, over 2 years ago. The information was sent with bills for months prior to the fee being assessed. Also, VZW was the last of the 4 major carriers to do this. I used to be a customer of AT&T, their upgrade fee is $36. The upgrade fee is clearly displayed on the website as well as the price card in a VZW store. If you go somewhere like Best Buy or other authorized seller it may not be discussed with you but it will appear on your next bill.

There are ways to avoid the upgrade fee. You can go on Edge, buy the phone at full price or get a phone from a third party such as swappa.com.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Forgive the typo. I meant April 2012. I just got back from 3 weeks in Europe a 9 hour flight and 6 hour time difference messed with my head. Regardless of the typo, I hold to everything else in my previous post.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I figured it probably was just a typo. That's why I included the link to the press release without comment so the OP could read the official announcement.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
RemyNOLA
Enthusiast - Level 3

The thing that annoys me most is that when reviewing devices online, the price is listed clearly next to the device. If Verizon is going to charge this "fee" they should add it into the price. My "fee" was $30 for a phone advertised as costing $49. While Verizon claims to have great rates for devices and plans, they fail to inform you that you will be nickel and dimed to death by all of the added "fees" they impose. I'm just waiting for them to start charging a fee for looking at their website or walking into one of their stores.

Not applicable

Actually if you're eligible for an upgrade they DO in fact tell you there is an upgrade fee. Just checked on my line since it's eligible for an upgrade and yep here it is

Upgrade Fee $30.00

So you were saying?  This fee has been around since April 2012. and why are you saying things in multiple threads about this? Once is enough. more than that and you're boardering on spamming

0 Likes
RemyNOLA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can you please provide the link to where you found this information. I did not see it when I was looking at the webpage for my phone.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You must be logged in to your own account and shop for devices. It will show the upgrade fee. They don't include it as part of the phone price because they are 2 separate things.

Pay the upgrade fee and move on; or utilize the Edge program or pay full retail for the device to avoid the upgrade fee.

One day there is going to be NO option for a 2yr contract and we will HAVE to pay full retail for devices. What then?