Roadside Assistance is a joke!
sbanning
Enthusiast - Level 2

From My Verizon Wireless website, FAQ re Roadside Assistance Service:

With Roadside Assistance you're covered anywhere in the US, Puerto Rico and Canada - whether you're in your own vehicle, a friend's vehicle or a rental. You can even lend your mobile device to a friend or family member, and they'll be covered, too. Your mobile device simply needs to be at the location of service.

Towing up to 10 miles

Charging your car's battery

Delivering three gallons of gas or diesel fuel

Removing a flat tire and replacing it with your spare tire

Winching

This morning my truck died while parked at my daughter's country rd bus stop, approximately 1.2 miles from our home, and 4 miles from our small town. I called Roadside Assistance to have my truck towed to my home. I explained to the customer service rep that I am recovering from neck and back surgery, not that I expected it to matter to him. It sure mattered to me. I was underdressed and ill-prepared, never expecting a vehicle problem. Running late, I left without my usual coat, cap, and gloves. My bad.

After being left on hold for what seemed like forever, I was flatly informed that the only tow truck in my area was broken. No roadside service would be provided to me. He made no offer or attempt to reach a tow truck in a neighboring town ( 3 miles away ), and made it clear to me that he had no intention of calling Wichita ( 11 miles ) for a tow truck. When I asked him why he just said that he couldn't.  He offered no reason, no good explanation. I was told he simply could not help me. He was cold and impersonal. He couldn't have cared less. When I asked him what I was paying for and depending on he gave no answer. I was furious.  Consequently I paid $65 for a tow truck driver from my town 4 miles away - the town that supposedly had one broken truck. I even know the guy, he has helped me before.  He said that he doesn't do Verizon calls anymore because he never got paid!

So...the moral of the story is that Verizon Roadside Service is a joke. A waste of time and money. A lie. And a fraud. Thankfully i was able to find a ride home within the hour. It was 20 degrees outside and I was frozen to the bone by the time I got home.

The lack of concern shown by the customer rep was disappointing. His flat affect and unwillingness to search outside a 4 mile stretch of highway to complete his obligation to a customer in crisis was surprising. I was shocked. I should have demanded more from him but I think I was in shock.

I'll be calling Verizon for reimbursement. It's the least they can do. If they won't reimburse my expenses for the tow, you better believe I'll be asking for two yrs worth of fees for services not rendered.

Shame on you Verizon!!

Labels (1)
Re: Roadside Assistance is a joke!
Snn5
Legend

I concur.  I was downtown Atlanta in November around 1AM with a dead fuel pump on my truck.  I was on hold long enough (30-45 min) for my phone battery to die while waiting for them to verify that I had RSA on my account.  I wound up walking a fair bit of distance to a cafe that would let me call a tow truck since, without calling FROM the phone on the account, I couldn't use the RSA.  That led to a 5 mile hike to Kmart to a Western Union and back to the tow/repair shop.  In the end, my already-paid RSA payments were not refunded.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

I have heard almost the same story before and I would not purchase RSA.

Snn5
Legend

Yeah, I keep the regular auto/motorcycle roadside assistance with my insurance provider.  I don't think Verizon pays up front either, meaning you have to wait for reimbursement, but then they might are supposed to send the funds to the towing service.  I haven't had RSA in years.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

I do the same and have never had a problem.

TYRAVE92
Enthusiast - Level 1

A complete waste of money. .. I wanted my car towed from the street in front of my house to my driveway. It wouldn't start and they said no.  My mechanic can fix it at my house but don't want it in the road.  After almost an hour on the phone they finally called it a convenience tow and the car must be towed to a repair facility. I specifically asked that even if my car was 2 miles away from my home you won't tow it to my house since it's a convenience tow, they said that's correct. I have never heard such silliness in my life. What a scam

AtOne206
Enthusiast - Level 1

I joke doesn’t  begin to describe the service. A man showed up in a car with his daughter hey jack and a lug. Also no knowledge about changing my tire. Now I have to have my car checked for damages. 

Tfw2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well I concur. Worst service ever. Still waiting on truck. 6 hours now. First one said 90 minutes then cancelled at 80. Second one said truck had a flat. Couldn’t come. Third one said two hours, then 45 minutes. Now they say 40 more minutes. Who knows. Why  it’s dallas Texas. No one has a tow service??

markjdube
Enthusiast - Level 1

While it seems like I might be in the minority here, but I have never had a problem with verizon's roadside assistance. I have been using it for a couple years now, and used it and handful of times. I spent a winter in Montana and had my car pulled out of a ditch twice (once in the early hours of the day before sunrise) as well as having it towed a good distance into town (15+ miles). Also used it for minor things like locked keys and dead batteries. Soemtimes I would be in more remote areas of the state, never had a problem. Maybe I am lucky but at $3 a month, $36 a year, you really can't beat it.

Janebagg
Enthusiast - Level 1

From another Verizon customer, thank you SO much for your post.  Saved me from signing up.