San Rafael, CA--large residential area with NO cell, and NO data service--area rated by Verizon tech as "ALL COVERAGE BAD", multiple complaints--but no response by Verizon
frustrated007

Dear Verizon Wireless Executives,

I am writing to let you know that I (and many of my neighbors) are on the verge of switching to ATT, due to terrible reception in my home neighborhood. 

I moved to Dominican neighborhood in San Rafael in March 2014, where I bought a house. I discovered that Verizon cell service varies from non-existent to terrible, both for data and cell service. At best I might get 1x data, and 0 or 1 bar for cell. All calls are dropped within 15 seconds. Data typically does not work.

My response was to first purchase and install a network extender. However, due to the size and configuration of my home,  I discovered that I needed a second extender to cover the whole house. This has led to new problems—the two extenders “compete” and if I start a call in one part of the house and move 1 or 2 feet too far in the other direction, I lose the call.

ATT has a powerful cell tower on the ridge above my neighborhood, which consistently produces 5 bars. It sits on a ridge in the Marin Open Space, likely on an old Nike base radio tower. (there are numerous towers on this ridge as a result of the abandoned Nike missle site).

I have begun to organize in my neighborhood—Dominican/Black Canyon Home Owners Asssociation, with about 1200 homes. When I posted a message asking about other people’s experience with Verizon Wireless, I was inundated with at least 30 or 40 angry and frustrated messages from Verizon customers, on NextDoor, a neighborhood listserve.

Today I completed a long Verizon Wireless “trouble ticket”, number NRB000007366782. I was told that there have been many, many complaints from this neighborhood for both data and cell coverage, or more to the point, lack of coverage. Your records indicate that this neighborhood is considered within Verizon as a “1X marginalization area”. And yet ,  currently there is no plan at Verizon to remedy this situation.

I strongly encourage you to begin an immediate search for access to one of the many existing towers on the ridge above my house to place a Verizon cell station.

In the event that you choose to continue to ignore this neighborhood and it’s abysmal coverage, I will organize a mass defection of Verizon Wireless residents to switch to ATT. I encourage you to begin this process now, let me and the neighborhood know of your plans, and have it completed in six months. If we have  not heard from you within 1 month (November 21, 2014), we will switch to ATT en masse beginning in December.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: San Rafael, CA--large residential area with NO cell, and NO data service--area rated by Verizon tech as "ALL COVERAGE BAD", multiple complaints--but no response by Verizon
Not applicable

That is not going to happen due to a myriad of reasons.

1- Verizon listed the area correctly. So its not deceiving the customers. So based on that I would have left for a better provider.

2- Verizon cannot just pop out and place service on any tower or property. They must gain permission to place signal towers in locations. They must secure the approval of villages, towns, cities or counties to even think of putting service towers up. This can take years.

Then if the approval is opposed and no other sites can be obtained your service stays as it is. This is not a carrier fault. Go after the town boards and elected officials that will not allow their placement.

And blame the majority of people who also oppose these towers etc. Based on scares of cancer, birth defects, and even people having seizures. Yep read up on it.

Your speaking for your neighbors is admirable but futile. You cannot get what you want in 6x6 months.

http://www.at.com

Good luck to you all

Re: San Rafael, CA--large residential area with NO cell, and NO data service--area rated by Verizon tech as "ALL COVERAGE BAD", multiple complaints--but no response by Verizon
rcschnoor
Legend

POSSIBLY you should contact your town zoning board/elected officials to see about expediting this. Verizon can only move as fast as the mentioned entities allow. They would be able to let you know if there are requests before the boards/officials and possibly when these requests were submitted. I know in my area placement of towers has taken several years in some cases, depending on public outcry for tower placement. Pressure from the public MAY help, but it is quite likely there is much more negative pressure than positive pressure.

Check section 14.16.360 of your town municipal code for all of the restrictions/requirements for what you ask. It is likely to be MUCH faster to simply go with the provider which provides the best service in your area.