Seriously...?
kc9pke
Enthusiast - Level 1

A month or two ago I pondered buying a different smartphone to replace my aging BlackBerry 8530. I realise I am on a discontinued plan ($44.99 for 450 mins. and $30 for data) and also that I can only activate specific smartphones with the account I have. Obviously, I looked at a phone that was eligible. Just to be careful, I didn't buy it right off, but instead phoned VZ to make sure I could do what I was planning. They said to get the ESN of the device and phone them again to confirm. I did that, and they said it's not an eligible device, even though it was in fact on the list of eligible devices. I asked why, and they said it's because my account is provisioned for BlackBerry data services and they told me if I were to swap to a new phone, it would have to be a BlackBerry.

One of my friends has an old BlackBerry of the same model. He let me try its ESN and again, VZ rejected it.

What the **** is going on?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Seriously...?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

kc9pke wrote:

One of my friends has an old BlackBerry of the same model. He let me try its ESN and again, VZ rejected it.

What the **** is going on?

Is your friend's BB still active on his account or on another account?  Is there a past due balance on the account associated with that BB?  That, or if that phone was ever reported as lost or stolen, could be possible reasons why it comes up as unable to be activated to your account.

I, too, have a BB (Bold, 9650) and have wondered if I could activate an Android and still keep my unlimited ...

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Did you try activating online or over the air? I switch between Android and BlackBerry without losing my grandfathered unlimited plan. It always works over the air by turning off the old phone and dialing *228 option 1 from the new one, but it was hit and miss online. The plans are all coded the same now as "unlimited data," and the only difference when I view plans is BlackBerry provision vs. consumer PDA.

So this makes me wonder which discontinued plan you're on. I've never heard of having to replace a BlackBerry with a BlackBerry to keep a plan, but maybe it's really old.

0 Likes
kc9pke
Enthusiast - Level 1

No it is not ma'am. He has a different device, and he said he bought the BB of his new.
I don't see why the system would reject the ESN and tell me it's not even eligible for prepaid... it's even the same device as what is on my plan

0 Likes
kc9pke
Enthusiast - Level 1

The plan I have is the prepaid monthly plan for smartphones that VZ introduced not too much longer after they discontinued unlimited data on new contracts. I activated it on the aforementioned plan January 2012, and around late summer I noticed it was discontinued.

I tried swapping ESNs online and by phone and they both tell me it's "not eligible for activation" even though it's the same model... it is all too confusing.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

kc9pke wrote:

I don't see why the system would reject the ESN and tell me it's not even eligible for prepaid...

That's it right there - pre-paid - the ability to swap devices at will on a PRE PAID plan doesn't follow the same rules as a regular, post-paid account, phones are not interchangeable from pre-paid to post-paid and vice versa.  Also, being that the pre-paid options have changed, you will likely have to change to one of the current plans when you change devices.

This discussion may get more knowledgeable responses on the Pre-paid board where those with pre-paid accounts can better answer this....

0 Likes
kc9pke
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well then.

Should I move this thread over to the prepaid board or outright start a new discussion there?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would start a new discussion on the prepaid section - specify your phone, that it is a prepaid plan, and what the plan is, and see if there is someone who may have the same plan/phone you have ...

0 Likes