Service went from functional to non-existent
mmcvey

While the service was previously functional and we were easily able to stream, open email etc from the hotspot, the quality of service (specifically data) has degraded to the point of limited to no functionality across all our devices. The issue arose roughly 3 months ago (you'll notice a gradual drop in our data use from 30+ GB/month plan to 4GB) and is at the point where we can no longer use Verizon as a data provider at home. I had called what I assume was lvl 1 CS and was given less than desired solutions (leave Verizon) and or possible root causes (a lake might be messing with the signal). Because the loss in service was fairly sudden and drastic I imagine there could be a possible solution to the issue (hardware or routing. Thanks for any time and consideration - what would be the next step in looking into this issue?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Service went from functional to non-existent
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mmcvey, we're always here to help and we truly want to make sure that the service is working as desired. Let's get to the bottom of these data concerns. You've mentioned that you're no longer able to use Verizon as a data provider at home. Are you currently experiencing any data issues outside of your home? Can you please confirm your current zip code and tell us more about what exactly is happening when you try to use data on your devices?

SamanthaT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
mmcvey

Hello, thanks for taking the time. All of the devices, including the hotspot aren't having any throughput issues while in other towns or cities. The zip code is 95960, a rural area, but as I noted previously the issue had gradually worsened over time. The construction of the house or the surrounding environment hasn't change since the service was installed to our knowledge. We were previously getting >3Mb/s and able to stream/browse the web without issue; currently every device (from hotspot, new Android and iOS devices) are unable to resolve websites as they timeout. This includes very lightweight websites like google and email inboxes. I can provide the results of new packet loss test and throughput test if you like. Thanks again

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Trees grow taller and thicker over time and that zip code appears to have lots of trees and mountains.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mmcvey

trees dont grow that fast nor do mountains.. if that were the case we'd have other more pressing concerns haha

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

What is the signal strength to the Android and iOS devices (I assume you can load Network Cell Info Lite and OpenSignal). What are the upload / download speeds at different times of the day? Do you have an app that tracks packet loss? Can you be more specific?

0 Likes
mmcvey

On average the devices were around -85 - -95 dBm before our issues and download speeds would be ~2-3Mbps. At the moment everyone is reporting about -100 - -114 and 0.6 Mbps which ins't conducive to service. These numbers are directly from the SIM status interface in the phone and an HTML5 based speed test. Websites that test up and down speeds generally don't resolve and timeout  but when they do complete we see numbers more closely related to dialup and >3000ms in latency . I would use a computer connected to the hopstpot or a phone to test for packet loss and can run whatever diagnostics as needed when I get home today

0 Likes
apexi055
Enthusiast - Level 3

mcvey

So I get the impression that everyone there is connecting to a verizon hotspot, and everyone is having the same issue.

What is the model of the verizon hotspot everyone is connecting to?

Those sound like 3G speeds to me. It would make sense that you're now unable to do nothing if your 3G signal is now over -100dBmV, that's no service land. On LTE, -100-114 isn't that bad, and -85-95 is pretty good.

0 Likes
mmcvey

The phones aren't connecting to the hotspot, just the desktop from time to time. Every device is having the dame data issue on and off the hotspot regardless of where we are in the area. To be more specific about the timeline, they noticed a big drop in the quality of service sometime this Jan when there was a big wet spell with plenty of snow.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Agreed, -100 to -114dBm is considered poor to very poor for a signal. 0.6Mbps is as you say, quite unworkable.

SIM Status interface ? Do you mean a field test mode on the device?

0 Likes