Share Everything Plan Abroad
celestethebest

In six months I'm moving to Spain for a while. I am trying to navigate what plan and device make the most sense for me. I'm currently on a Share Everything plan with my family. The rest of my family isn't moving to Spain with me. I recently lost my phone so I need to get a replacement. Of my possible upgrades, the only one that is not super expensive is the Moto X. It looks like a great phone, but it doesn't have a SIM card. I know switching SIM cards is the easiest way to take phones to other countries. The Moto X is GSM and should work ok in Spain, but I'm worried about getting billed a lot since the trip planner function on the Global Support page told me I would be charged 50 cents for each message sent, etc. I talked to a Customer Service person who told me that with a Share Everything plan, I won't be billed extra for texting and calling abroad. But then I read a bunch of Community Forum posts that said people got billed abroad when they thought they wouldn't. So, my question is:

Should I get an affordable phone (the Moto X), because with my current plan I won't be charged extra for using it abroad

OR

Should I get a more expensive phone (one with a SIM card) because if I try to use my current plan abroad I will be charged, and I can prevent that by having a SIM card?

Any thoughts or advice would be great! Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Share Everything Plan Abroad
rowdyonez
Enthusiast - Level 3

You need a phone that is dual GSM/CDMA with a Sim Card slot unless Spain offers CDMA.

If you will be in Spain for a long time and plan on using the phone allot to contact people in Spain simply don't take your Verizon Sim Card with you there. You can put your line on your Verizon Wireless account on a vacation suspend without billing, then when you get to Spain get a prepaid Sim Card. This will enable you to make calls from within Spain to others in Spain at minimal cost.

You can do a vacation suspend for 90 days at a time, for up to 180 days, in any 365 day span of time. This will extend your contract on your line (if you get a phone under 2 yr contract) 1 day for every day it is on a vacation suspend.

Now if you plan on calling to the USA allot and do not wish to suspend your line you want to ask Verizon Wireless about their international rates for Spain under the plan options they have, but it will cost you a bit more.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Moto X has a SIM card slot on Verizon Wireless. It was the Moto G prepaid that won't have a SIM card slot.

The Moto X is global ready and you should be able to use it on the local GSM carrier in Spain.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rowdyonez
Enthusiast - Level 3

You need a phone that is dual GSM/CDMA with a Sim Card slot unless Spain offers CDMA.

If you will be in Spain for a long time and plan on using the phone allot to contact people in Spain simply don't take your Verizon Sim Card with you there. You can put your line on your Verizon Wireless account on a vacation suspend without billing, then when you get to Spain get a prepaid Sim Card. This will enable you to make calls from within Spain to others in Spain at minimal cost.

You can do a vacation suspend for 90 days at a time, for up to 180 days, in any 365 day span of time. This will extend your contract on your line (if you get a phone under 2 yr contract) 1 day for every day it is on a vacation suspend.

Now if you plan on calling to the USA allot and do not wish to suspend your line you want to ask Verizon Wireless about their international rates for Spain under the plan options they have, but it will cost you a bit more.

0 Likes