Share upgrade and keep the same plan(unlimited data)
beckyann621

I chatted with a verizon rep and posed this to her:

I was chatting with someone a few weeks ago and he said something about using my daughter's upgrade for my phone? I would then be able to keep my same plan Smiley Happy Her reply was:

If you use your daughter's upgrade you can get a new phone and keep your unlimited data. Another option to keep unlimited is to pay full retail for the
phone.

We visited a Verizon store and was told this was untrue. Can anyone verify this for me?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Share upgrade and keep the same plan(unlimited data)
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The store reps were wrong.  You can use your daughter's upgrade to get a phone at the subsidized price and renew the contract on her line.  Then you can activate the phone on your line without any plan changes.  You will need to make sure they aren't trying to switch you to the Share Everything plan when getting the phone on your daughter's line.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

B33
Legend

Hmm Ann not to take this in the wrong way but can you Tag along with me to my Local store and Tell the Reps or Manager what your telling doozypoots because i thought when you had Unlimited plans like i do and my Line is coming up for Renew in February as i was told to get a new phone and keep my Unlimited i would have to Pay full Price for it). If i want it at a subsidized price i would have to go with a different plan and drop my Unlimited) I'm just a little fuzzy on this that's why i'm asking Smiley Happy

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

B33 wrote:

i thought when you had Unlimited plans like i do and my Line is coming up for Renew in February as i was told to get a new phone and keep my Unlimited i would have to Pay full Price for it). If i want it at a subsidized price i would have to go with a different plan and drop my Unlimited) I'm just a little fuzzy on this that's why i'm asking Smiley Happy b

That's correct and has been discussed on this forum in tons of threads.  If you have unlimited data and want to keep it (at least for now), your choices are:

• pay full retail price for a new phone at Verizon
  • buy a phone from somewhere like swappa or ebay (somewhere that doesn't require a new two-year Verizon contract)
  • get a subsidized phone from Verizon, sign a new two-year contract, and switch to a tiered data plan (i.e., 2 GB for $30); this applies if you're currently on a Nationwide plan ... older plans may force a switch to the Share Everything plan
  • if available, upgrade another line on the account and move that phone to the unlimited line (of course, if that line also has unlimited data, it will be lost)
  • add a line to the account for a new subsidized phone, move the new phone to the unlimited line, and put a basic phone on the new line and drop the data plan (of course, that would involve paying a monthly fee for the additional line,and the ETF would be based on the smartphone purchased, not the basic phone on the line)
beckyann621

So now I'm totally confused and I apologzie if this was covered somwhere else. I am not sure what a "subsidized" phone is. Let me try and explain it in my own words.1 of 3 things:

a. Buy a phone through Verizon (hopefully for free after rebates etc..) and pay $30 acctivation fee for a new 2 year contract and keep my unlimited data plan.

b. pay full price for a phone and keep the unlimited plan.

c. buy a new/used/refurbished phone from an outside source (ebay etc...) and keep the unlimited plan

If a is untrue why did the rep in the online chat tell me:

If you use your daughter's upgrade you can get a new phone and keep your unlimited data?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

A subsidized phone is a phone purchased at a discounted price by signing a new two-year contract.  And yes, there is a $30 upgrade fee when signing that new contract.

Your (a) will not work as you have to pay full retail for the phone through Verizon if you want to keep unlimited data.  If you sign a new two-year contract, you will lose your unlimited data.

Your (b) will work.

Your (c) will work as long as you don't sign a new two-year contract with Verizon.  In other words, buying from ebay will work.  Buying from Amazon or Best Buy won't work if you have to sign a new two-year contract.

And yes, you can use your daughter's upgrade, as noted in the fourth bullet in my earlier response and in Ann154's response.  You upgrade her phone, move her new phone to your line, and then put her old phone back on her line.  If she has a basic phone, you then drop the data plan that was required when you upgraded her line to a smartphone.  If she has a smartphone and also has unlimited data, she loses it once her line is upgraded.  Another catch is that she now can't upgrade again for two more years, unless a phone is purchased from somewhere like ebay or swappa, or you pay full retail price for her phone.  And, of course, if you pay full retail price, then you can upgrade at any time.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tikibar1, sorry for the confusion. No need to be fussy. I can address your concerns. When upgrading to a new device with promotional pricing, you will be moved to a current data plan since you are signing a new contractual agreement. However, if you purchase a new phone at full retail pricing, it will not extend your contract and you can keep your Unlimited Data plan.

Lasina_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

doozypoots, stay calm. I can clear up this confusion for you. Here are your options:

(A.) You may use her upgrade to purchase a new device with promotional pricing. This new device can be activated on your line, which will allow you to keep your Unlimited data plan. However, please be advised that the contract on your daughter's line will be extended for an additional two years based on the promotional pricing and new contractual agreement.

(B.) If you purchase a new device on your wireless line with promotional pricing, this will extend your contractual agreement for two years. With this new agreement, you will be moved to a new current data plan. You have the option of subscribing to the $30.00 2 GB data plan or switching to the Share Everything plan.

(C.) You can purchase a new phone at full retail pricing and no promotional offer to keep your Unlimited Data plan.

(D.) You may purchase a device from a third party and keep your Unlimited data plan. However, please be advised that we do not cover that device under warranty and you will be unable to add Wireless phone protection to it.

Lasina_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
kellsie90

So what happens if we decide not to upgrade for the simple fact of not wanting to lose the unlimited data plan?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

kellsie90 wrote:

So what happens if we decide not to upgrade for the simple fact of not wanting to lose the unlimited data plan?

Your plan doesn't change except to go from under contract to month-to-month.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes