Should I switch to "The Verizon Plan"?
stealle

My current plan is called "MORE EVERY LOYAL TLK TXT 6GB" My monthly data usage usually runs very close to the 6gb.  I'm getting ready to take a trip with my kids.  I figure I will need more data this month so I was going to increase my data.  It appears to me that if I want to increase my data I must change my entire plan to the "Verizon Plan".  I compared my current plan to the new plan.  At a glance they seem to be almost identical. The only difference shown on the website is the vz cloud storage is only 5gb on the new plan vs 25gb on the old plan.  No big deal to me since I don't use verizon's vz cloud.

Before pulling the trigger on the new plan I decided to do a little more google research.  I might be misunderstanding things, but it sounds to me like the new plan will no longer allow people to buy new smart phones with a discount when getting a 2 year contract.  For example, I recently purchased my daughter a new iphone at Best Buy.  I was charged $199 plus a 2 year contract.  If I agree to this new plan, and when I'm ready to buy an iphone for my youngest daughter, it sounds like I will be charged around $650 for a new phone which can be spread over 24 months and the $20 activation fee will be waived (woopee!).  Am I missing something here?

So my two questions: 1. Is there a way to increased my data on my current plan?  Maybe if I call Verizon?  2, If I switch to the new verizon plan, will I no longer be able to by the latest iPhone's for the usual price of about $200 with the agreement of a 2 year commitment to Verizon?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Should I switch to "The Verizon Plan"?
virtualme

What you have to understand is, you're currently paying for that phone under your old plan. You aren't really getting a "discount".

For 2-year contract, you pay a $40/mo line fee. Well $25 of that is paying for the phone so $25*24 = $480.00

$480.00+$200 = $680 you've paid for the phone. After 24 months you can drop your bill to $15/mo for that line access fee.

Under the new plan, yes you're paying full price for that phone but paying a slightly lower monthly line fee of $20 vs $15 under the 2 year contract plan. But the upside is, you can get better rates on the data side of the equation.

It's very confusing for sure, so I'd go to the store and have someone sit down and do the math for you in your situation.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

stealle wrote:

My current plan is called "MORE EVERY LOYAL TLK TXT 6GB" My monthly data usage usually runs very close to the 6gb.  I'm getting ready to take a trip with my kids.  I figure I will need more data this month so I was going to increase my data.  It appears to me that if I want to increase my data I must change my entire plan to the "Verizon Plan".  I compared my current plan to the new plan.  At a glance they seem to be almost identical. The only difference shown on the website is the vz cloud storage is only 5gb on the new plan vs 25gb on the old plan.  No big deal to me since I don't use verizon's vz cloud.

Before pulling the trigger on the new plan I decided to do a little more google research.  I might be misunderstanding things, but it sounds to me like the new plan will no longer allow people to buy new smart phones with a discount when getting a 2 year contract.  For example, I recently purchased my daughter a new iphone at Best Buy.  I was charged $199 plus a 2 year contract.  If I agree to this new plan, and when I'm ready to buy an iphone for my youngest daughter, it sounds like I will be charged around $650 for a new phone which can be spread over 24 months and the $20 activation fee will be waived (woopee!).  Am I missing something here?

So my two questions: 1. Is there a way to increased my data on my current plan?  Maybe if I call Verizon?  2, If I switch to the new verizon plan, will I no longer be able to by the latest iPhone's for the usual price of about $200 with the agreement of a 2 year commitment to Verizon?

1. Since the More Everything doesn't exist any longer, I don't think you can up the data (I could be wrong, CS may be able to do so).  On More Everything, for lines in contract, you pay a $40 access fee per line and get a discount of $15 or $25 if the lines are out of contract.  At 6GB data, it would be a $25 discount for out of contract lines or $15 access fee.  If you aren't getting this discount and you have lines of service that qualify, start saving now and ask for the month-to-month discount!

2. I think you can still get a 2 yr contract - but consider this.  If you put the same $200 down on the iPhone, it would leave a balance of $450.  Divided over 24 months, that's $18.75/month.  Access fee on a contract is $40, on the DPP it's $20.  Either way, you pay about the same, and own the phone in the end.  DPP is actually a bit less.  You can also divide up the entire cost of the phone, making the monthly payment a little higher, but with no upfront outlay.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

AS far as I have been told, you can change your data allotment on the More everything plan.

I Have no intention of giving up my plan, for my family it's cheaper than the Verizon plan.

0 Likes