Signal Strength has changed
sanda156

It was only a couple of weeks ago that we had great signal strength around our house.  Now all of our neighbors are complaining because Verizon has reduced the signal strength. We believe that they are trying to force us to use WiFi calling because it is cheaper that using data on the cell towers.  This has really caused a hardship with dropped calls and sporadic service when leaving the house.  We always felt so secure before when working in the words or driving down the road knowing we could quickly call emergency personnel if there was an accident.  What was once a great service is not so much anymore.  If Verizon really cared, they would send out a technician to review the service in the area and tell us why things have changed. 

0 Likes
Re: Signal Strength has changed
TheVidPros

There may be a less sinister explanation to the sudden loss in signal quality.

We noticed the same thing, and after much sleuthing, were told it was because some of the towers in our service area were being converted to 5G.  The end result is that unless you have a 5G compatible phone, you suddenly notice a drop in signal quality as usable service capacity is reduced.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

sanda156, I know how important it is to have the best service at all times. I would be just as concerned and frustrated if my service suddenly decreased. Staying connected, and being able to call out in an emergency. 

As you mentioned, newer phones are WiFi and WiFi-Calling compatible. It's a great feature, for indoor coverage. What exact location are you at? (Maybe city, state, and cross streets, or zip code.) 

VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@TheVidPros ,

It's always good to have the right information when it comes to your services, but who exactly did you get this information from? I ask because 5G and 4G are very different in the requirements each one has when it comes to a tower. 5G components can be placed on existing 4G towers, so there would not be a conversion involved, while smaller 5G towers would be placed throughout cities that provide our current 5G network: https://www.verizon.com/5g/coverage-map/ 

RussellM_VZW

0 Likes