Re: Slow 4g in afternoons?
swible
Enthusiast - Level 2

I take your point, Weth, but I don't think I agree with the assertion that it's the fault of the "bad actors" with unlimited data plans. It may be a ramification of their usage, but it's hardly their fault for using a plan which they signed a contract for.  Verizon has a contract with them just as it does with everyone else, including me. At that point it's Verizon's responsibility to meet all those contract terms as well as provide the level of service which has been advertised.

I wasn't here to blame Verizon but to find a solution... It seems that there isn't one to be found, except perhaps to look to other providers who don't have these issues, or to other alternatives such as wifi (which has its own issues and isn't portable, of course). Unfortunately that doesn't change the fact that I'm paying Verizon for a level of service that it isn't providing.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Also take into account the unlimited users who violated their contracts by tethering when, their plan was unlimited 3G and 4G was just a bonus.  Some people had unlimited tethering, but I surmise the vast majority got into unlimited data in the 3G days.  You might look into Project Fi, since you want the lower coverage carriers like SPrint and T-Mobile, plus you want WiFi and Project Fi uses all three and for $20 a month plus $10 per GB you can't go wrong (unless you don't use an N6) plus you get a credit for any unused data.

0 Likes
swible
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm not so concerned about the money though, as the service.  (Though if even a partial solution is to put in a hard line that I wouldn't otherwise have to get, then that's a different story.)

I'm not sure how to take your first sentence though.  I've been mulling it over quite a bit and don't know how else to take it... Verizon is allowed to break their contract with me become some 3rd parties may have broken their contracts with Verizon??

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Wodan wrote:

I've been mulling it over quite a bit and don't know how else to take it... Verizon is allowed to break their contract with me become some 3rd parties may have broken their contracts with Verizon??

There were people who had/have unlimited data plans.  There were a couple different plans.  One, like I had was 3G unlimited, however, when 4G came along here some 4 years ago, it remained unlimited 3 and 4G.  My plan was 1 device, meaning, no tethering to any other device.  There are others who had unlimited data and hotspot, so they are in the clear (outside of abnormal use.)  My contract was explicit about unauthorized data use, be it far above the average or being used on any device other than the 1 device I had a contract for, which was my phone.  You have people to this day running massive multiplayer online games (MMOs) that easily kill 80GB a month with heavy use PLUS streaming Netflix in 1080P, PLUS YouTube, daily SpeedTest.net tests that kill 75MB per second both ways in XLTE coverage areas, plus all other manner of data use...basically using it as home and mobile internet.  There were and are more people doing this, knowingly and unknowingly, than many may think.  In the end, those people were violating their contract if that contract stated unlimited for 1 device and no hotspot/tethering.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Thing is, these bad actors use their unlimited accounts in a way that is outside the terms of the contract, or in direct violation of term in the contract (using phone account for unlimited multi-device home internet, having a torrent server running 24/7). So I do put blame when I see someone using 200 GB data (which is really hard, if not impossible to do on a phone).

Regardless, it is Verizon's responsibility to correct or you switch providers if it is not acceptable.  I agree with you on that. 

LIke I said I know spots that are exactly like thIs.  Thankfully it is not spots I usually go to.  I have switchEd off LTE and used 3G CDMA on occasion when LTE is completely overloaded with some success (still slow, but usable).  That works since few are on 3G data anymore, and if they are, they are not big users. 

0 Likes
swible
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand what you are saying, I just don't see how it's relevant. Even with current data plans, Verizon sells higher data, and they also sell tethering. They just charge you more. Such people will have the same effect on the system as the people you describe, so it's moot. And, bottom line, it doesn't change the terms of Verizon's contract with me.

I did talk to 2 reps over the weekend, neither were any help. One was terrific, she just didn't have the answers, and referred me to "tier 2 tech support." The latter was pretty useless, obviously following a script, not able to troubleshoot at all, and not offering any other solutions.

0 Likes
appalleduser

My experience is more like NO NO NO service rather than slow slow slow.  Since upgrading form 3g to 4g totally lost service in my home.  I work from a home office and have to walk out to the street to get get one bar.  It's crippling my business.  I called Verizon to try to get them to send me a repeater.  Their answer is that they will sell me one for $250 so that I can same service I had before their "upgrade".  I have 5 phones with them and their so-called customer service was one robotic guy repeating what he would charge to get the service to work (beyond what I already pay them).  Friends on Sprint, AT&T and TMobile  have full  service in my house.  I have talked to  relatives in 5 states.  They all are having exact same problems on the verizon 4G network no matter what brand phone they are using.  This is a huge Verizon  problem that needs media attention.

0 Likes
earltash
Enthusiast - Level 3

Jan.2016. I now have a 4G cell n did a speed test in southern maine.

9-10 mbps download n .5 upload.....

I call that rather slow........

Yes that is point 5 upload......real slow

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

4G phones are great Earl. I’m confident that you will love your new phone. While the download speeds are certainly within the anticipated 5-12Mbps and there is nothing to fix there, the upload speeds a bit on the low side considering 2-5Mbps is normal. Please confirm these anticipated speeds at this link: http://spr.ly/6581Bnrf9*
Let’s get some additional information and explore ways to improve your upload speeds. Was this speed test done indoors, or outdoors? How many signal bars on your screen when you ran the test? Are you experiencing any specific service issues due to the readings of your speed test? What is your phone model? What is your ZIP code?

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
earltash
Enthusiast - Level 3

First....that link take me to an error page...http://spr.ly/error?url=6581Bnrf9*

fone is a LG Transpyre prepay 4G LTE.

Verizon LG Transpyre 4G LTE Prepaid Smartphone - Walmart.com

Speed test was done both inside, and outside.

Test was done with 2 signal bars and data on showing 4G.

I never get more then 2 bars here at my place.

This has been the only problem i have had with the fone, and when at home i just use wi-fi anyway.

But i was wondering what the 4G speeds mite be.

I used these two sites for the speed test.

Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Speed Test - Internet Customer Service | Verizon

0 Likes