Re: Smartphone Upgrade loop hole
joepineapple
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry this may have been covered in past posts. But here is my scenario: I would like to upgrade from a Droid 2 to the Galaxy S3. I have two lines on my current plan. Line 1 - Droid 2 with unlimted data. Line 2  - Dumb phone. My plan shows an upgrade is available for line 2 dumb phone. I want to understand what I will need to do to keep my unlimited data from line 1.

1. Upgrade line 2 from dumb phone to Galaxy S3, select to pay the discounted price and the 30.00 data plan.

2. Upon receiving the Galaxy, assign it to line 1 to replace the Droid 2.

3. Call to make sure that I don't get charged the 30.00 data plan that I ordered when I used the line 2 upgrade. Or will verizon realize that I didn't turn on the Galaxy on the line 2 dumb phone line and not charge me for the data plan? In other words, will my entire plan remain unchanged?

Thanks for any help!

0 Likes
Intocable
Contributor - Level 2

joepineapple wrote:

Sorry this may have been covered in past posts. But here is my scenario: I would like to upgrade from a Droid 2 to the Galaxy S3. I have two lines on my current plan. Line 1 - Droid 2 with unlimted data. Line 2  - Dumb phone. My plan shows an upgrade is available for line 2 dumb phone. I want to understand what I will need to do to keep my unlimited data from line 1.

1. Upgrade line 2 from dumb phone to Galaxy S3, select to pay the discounted price and the 30.00 data plan.

2. Upon receiving the Galaxy, assign it to line 1 to replace the Droid 2.

3. Call to make sure that I don't get charged the 30.00 data plan that I ordered when I used the line 2 upgrade. Or will verizon realize that I didn't turn on the Galaxy on the line 2 dumb phone line and not charge me for the data plan? In other words, will my entire plan remain unchanged?

Thanks for any help!

upgrade  LINE B(dumbphone line) to S3 ..activate S3 on line b(dumbphone) line. then activate s3 on LINE A( droid 2 line) ..activate dumb phone back on LINE B..AND QUICKLY ELIMINATE THE DATA PLAN.

MAKE SURE YOU DONT GO INTO THE SHARE EVERYTHING RIPOFF.

0 Likes
joepineapple
Enthusiast - Level 1

Intocable -

If I op to get the S3 in the mail, can I skip the step of activating it on LINE B and just go ahead and acitvated it on LINE A? Or is that not possible and I go with your directions.

0 Likes
joepineapple
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also how do I cancel the data plan once I switch the phones? Is that something I can do thru my online account or at the store?

0 Likes
Intocable
Contributor - Level 2

no you must activate it on line b or else verizon will bill you for the full retail price of the phone.. once you activate the phone on line b that will start your new 2 year contract.

yea the data plan you can eliminate it through your online account. if not you can call . dont worry about that ,..just make sure you cancel it

0 Likes
joepineapple
Enthusiast - Level 1

Awesome - Thanks so much for your advice.

0 Likes
xbure9x

can this all be done online, or do you need to call in to a rep or go to a store??

0 Likes
golson22v

did this work for you as I am told that it will only work if paying full price?

0 Likes
xbure9x

hello

what I was able to do was to upgrade my basic phone line with the iPhone 5. when it came in, I was able to activate it on my line without even needing to activate it on my basic line first. my plan did not change, still unlimited. turns out my mom wanted my old iPhone 4 so I activated it on her line. I don't know what would have happened if she wanted her basic phone still, so I can't tell you that, but as far as the upgrading the basic line, it worked.

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
golson22v

Thank you. Will I have to pay the upgrade charge twice....once for activating on line b and again for changing activation to line a? I asked about this at out local Verizon store yesterday and they told me the loophole no longer worked. But it looks like you were successful well after the time they told me it was closed, so I hope I am as fortunate.  Thank you!

0 Likes