Re: Smartphone Upgrade loop hole
mattplaybass

I have a slightly different scenario, but I'm a little scared to try it just yet.  I have two lines with two smartphones and both have unlimited data, so no lines with regular phones.  I was told by a CSR on the phone that one loophole was to upgrade the first phone line online.  In the order, I could select (instead of the shared data plan) to just have the traditional family share plan with 2GB of data for that one line (keeping unlimited on the second line).  He stated my unlimited data would stay in effect until the phone came in and was activated on the line in which it was upgraded.  This would be due to the 2GB data plan being in limbo until the activation occurred. 

However, if I instead activated it on the other smartphone line with unlimited data, it would never take affect (since the phone was never activated on the line in which the upgrade occurred).  And since the phone was activated on the second line without that line being upgraded, it too would stay unlimited.  Then in turn, I could use the second line for the same purpose on the first line. 

Basically, he stated that as long as the order/upgrade was done online and if I never activate the new subsidized phone to the line in which it was connected to via the upgrade, the change to the data plan would not get processed.

So my question is, has anyone tried this? Or, if any one completed an upgrade online and downgraded their unlimited data to a shared data plan (or just a 2GB per line plan), when did the new data plan take affect on your account (that you noticed)?

0 Likes
faatdaat

The scenario you described should work but with risk. last year, I upgraded a feature phone to an Iphone and received the Iphone in mid-June. I didn't actually activated the iphone until early July (two days before Verizon stopped offering unlimited data). The data plan was not added to my account until the phone was activated in eary July.

0 Likes
Pariyah
Enthusiast - Level 1

FYI to all:

info: Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales
  representative to assist you with your order.  Thank you for your
  patience.

info: You are now chatting with 'Faith'

Faith: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat
  service.  May I help you with your order today?

Chris: Hi I recently received advice from customer
  service about a method to use to keep my unlimited data for the smartphone
  lines. After reading some of the forums i'm seeing conflicting info. I'd like
  to verify with you what I was told

Faith: The only way to keep that unlimited data
  will be to buy the phone at full retail price

Chris: I was told by 2 different reps that i could
  update one of the basic phone lines on our plan to the iPhone 5

Chris: then when i get the phone activate it on the
  basic line

Chris: then, reactivate the basic phone on that line
  and it would open up the i5 to use on any other line

Faith: Yes you can do that as well if that line
  has an upgrade you can put it on the line that has the unlimited data and
  keep that

Chris: the conflicting comments i see is do I activate
  the i5 on the basic line once i receive it and then switch it over to the
  unlimited data line?

Chris: Or when i get the phone can i just activate it
  on the unlimited data line?

Faith: You will activate the phone on the line with
  the unlimited data when you get the phone however you will need to call into
  customer service to do so

Chris: and in doing that i will NOT lose my unlimited
  data? Because i'm not changing that lines plan. Just the phone. Is that
  correct?

Chris: Still there?

Faith: Yes I am here and no you will not lose the
  data that is why you need to call in once the phone comes and let customer
  service activate it for you

Chris: Gotcha. Thank you so much for the help. Last
  question. Once i activate the phone on my unlimited data line, do i have to
  do anything on the basic line or will nothing change for it since the i5 was
  not activated on that line?

Faith: That line should remain the same since it
  will not be activated on that line. Are you ready to begin and I will help
  you?

Chris: I haven't received the i5 yet. Status says it's
  scheduled to ship Oct. 5th. I've already ordered based on the other reps
  telling me about this process to keep the unlimited data. I just wanted to
  make sure this was acurate prior to activating the phone when i receive it.

Faith: Do you have any further questions today?

Chris: No you have been very helpful. Thank you for
  all the help!!

Faith: It has been my pleasure to chat with you
  today! Please feel free to re-open the chat session if you need further
  assistance . Thank you and have a great day!

Faith: Sorry

0 Likes
ash67

Cool. This was helpful. Just a question. When I placed my pre-order for the i5, I transferred an upgrade from a dumbphone to my smartphone, instead of using the upgrade on the dumbphone. Will I not be able to use this trick then? When it asked me to pick a plan the non-shared options were the only ones available. Or can I still activate this on the dumb line and then transfer it?

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

ash67 wrote:

Cool. This was helpful. Just a question. When I placed my pre-order for the i5, I transferred an upgrade from a dumbphone to my smartphone, instead of using the upgrade on the dumbphone. Will I not be able to use this trick then? When it asked me to pick a plan the non-shared options were the only ones available. Or can I still activate this on the dumb line and then transfer it?

You should not have transfered the upgrade, it will eliminate your unlimited if you activate it on that line. I'd call CS when you get your phone to see if you can activate it on the line without losing unlimited. If you activate it yourself, you will lose unlimited. You may need to return it and start over, if you want to keep unlimited.

0 Likes
ash67

Oh okay. Well, it's not a huge deal if I lose my unlimited data, but I will try calling CS when I get my phone. Do you think I might be able to do the same thing in the store, or would I be better off calling in?

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

I'd call in. The store will try to sell you something as opposed to helping you. And the lines will be huge in the store.

0 Likes
Pariyah
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't think transferring the upgrade will cause you to loose your unlimited. You're still not changing your plan. You're just giving up your upgrade to a different line. You may have to activate the basic phone line with the i5 and then immediately reactivate the basic phone back onto that line. Then activate the i5 on the unlimited data line. That's how it was first explained to me. When you get the i5 you should go to a store and talk to someone live. The lines will definitely be huge but when you have someone in front of you its easier not to mess up. Even the rep who first explained the workaround to me suggested to speak with someone in store once the phone was received.

Best of luck!!

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

In most cases, stores are sales people not service people. I never go to the store, but each to their own.

0 Likes
ash67

I'm not getting my phone until 9/26, so the lines should be ok. I'll probably go to the store and try it out since I have a few close by and see if they can help me out and then try calling if they can't help. It sounds like what Pariyah said should work though.

0 Likes