So confused about upgrading my phone
brianmcgann
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, my wife & I are on a Verizon Family Plan. When I log into our account online and click the "Upgrade phone" option, it shows my phone & her phone. Her phone is listed as being under the New Every 2 plan and as being the primary line on the account, and it shows her next eligible upgrade date is 12 months away. My phone is not listed as New Every 2 and it shows my next upgrade as March of 2010.

My questions:

1. Is only one phone in a family plan eligible for New Every 2?

2. I keep seeing references on Verizon's site to being able to upgrade after one year at discounted prices, but when I look at my options to upgrade the prices are obviously not discounted. This is what is in the FAQ for the upgrade phone option:

You can get a new phone every year with Annual Upgrade. Sign up for a 2-year agreement on a calling plan of at least $49.99 and you can purchase a new phone at its promotional price through My Verizon every year with a 2-year renewal (upgrade fee may apply).

Help please?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: So confused about upgrading my phone
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the annual upgrade...Only the primary line is eligible for an annual upgrade on a family share. You are able to upgrade at the 2-yr contract pricing after one year. That will extend your contract out for 2 years from the date of upgrade. Since Verizon is letting you upgrade early, (one year into your two year contract) there is a $20 processing fee on top of the cost of the phone, unless you are a VIP, then the fee is waived. When you do the early upgrade, your NE2 eligibility date gets extended 2 years from the date of the annual upgrade.

New Every Two
gets you a credit off the 2 yr pricing 20 months into your contract. If you have a $100 credit available from the old program, and do an early upgrade your NE2 credit gets moved to 20 months after you do the upgrade and you'll only have a $50 credit. Verizon changed the NE2 program and now you get a $50 NE2 discount on plans $79.99 and up and $30 NE2 discount on plans $34.99 - $79.99. Only the primary line on a family plan qualifies for the NE2.

The reason secondary lines do not qualify is because they only cost $9.99 (Basic and Select) or $19.99 (Connect and Premium).

Does this help clear things up?

0 Likes