So, why no droid type phones without a camera?
BigDennin
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, now we are into year four of my asking why VZW does not want to capture a decent market share and start offering a droid-style phone without a camera?

Like many  people working in certain fields, I like having the features of a smartphone, but I am stuck with a Blackberry because I can not have a camera.

Now, before some genius starts up with how to modify a smartphone- the requirement is to not have a camera; not a disabled or removed camera, a phone made without a camera.

Yes, there is a large population of people that would love any smartphone other than a BB- IF they could find one without a camera. We are talking 4000 plus just where I work, several thousand more down the road.

I have worked in a manufacturing environment before too- a line that does not install a camera, uses a solid cover plate, and loads operating software without camera apps is not a huge task to set up, especially when you consider the DoD, Scientific, Trade, Medical, Mental Health, Research, Legal, Law Enforcement, and Education workers that can not have camera-phones.

On the same subject, why have all non-camera phones (not just smartphones, but all) been removed from my local Verizon store? It is in a location where several facilities that forbid camera phones could be hit with a thrown rock- do you just dislike your store workers that bad?

Labels (1)
Re: So, why no droid type phones without a camera?
Not applicable

No one makes non-camera phones anymore and no there isn't a large enough market for a non camera droid. That's a niche market at best. Trust me if there was a market for a non-camera droid then they would make one. And I know plenty of people in the field you mention that carry around phones with cameras.

0 Likes
BigDennin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Try to take this without being upset. Who asked for your opinion?

RIM does make a non-camera Blackberry, several other companies make non-camera phones.

There is a fairly large market of people that work in areas where it is a JOB LOSING OFFENSE to have a camera phone.

You knowing "..plenty of people in the field..." is so much nightsoil of the male bovine. The people I work with would rather not lose their jobs (as about six [new] people did last year).

I don't see you as a VZW employee on your profile- if you are, I pity them for hiring someone who just makes uninformed comments. I don't need opinions from the peanut gallery; I want a direct and straightforward answer from verizon.

Not applicable

BigDennin wrote:

Try to take this without being upset. Who asked for your opinion?

You did when you asked a question in a public forum.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

RIM makes devices that are geared more towards Enterprise users including companies that have that "No Camera" restrictions. The Android, iOS and Windows devices are geared more towards the masses or average user. The manufacturers have to weigh the costs of developing and producing a device without the camera. If they don't believe they can at least break even or make a profit, they won't make the device.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
BigDennin
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is called a rhetorical question. In this case, it means that if you do not speak for Verizon, please go back to whatever you were doing.

But gee, you sure got me back on that point.

BigDennin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Once again- seeing if Verizon could offer some answers. I have seen tech articles going back several years talking about droid phones without cameras since there are many people in non-camera environments that still want droid style functionality. There is a market of professionals in several industries and it is not just selling the devices, which are cheap- it is the data plans.

Hello Verizon! Where ya at?

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

BigDennin wrote:

... In this case, it means that if you do not speak for Verizon, please go back to whatever you were doing.

This is a peer-to-peer customer support forum, so none of us "speak for Verizon" - we each offer our own opinions and (hopefully) helpful advice.  Occasionally a Verizon rep (clearly indicated by their username and avatar) will chime in, but this venue is intended to be customers helping other customers.

0 Likes
BigDennin
Enthusiast - Level 2

And yet you could not tell that I did not want responses from people other than Verizon reps....

0 Likes
Mackdady
Enthusiast - Level 2

Concur with the original request!

We want a smartphone WITHOUT a camera WITH 4G.  I'll be quite honest I really do not care about the price I am tired of not being able to use my smartphone (as it would be locked in a sercurity box) or being stuck with  a vintage 80's cell phone.

@users posting rhetorical responses...STOP

@Verizon or ANY smartphone manufacturer get off your butt and collect my money!

0 Likes