Spam using my phone number
donnaa1547

I had a person call me yesterday to tell me she got a spam call using my phone number on the ID.  I didn't know this person and she didn't know me, nor did we exchange names or other information, so I believe this was a legit call.  Has anyone ever had this happen to them?  Does anyone no if I should be doing something to stop it or if I can stop it?

0 Likes
Re: Spam using my phone number
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Lots of related threads on the forum regarding this subject if you want to do a search.  In the meantime, you may want to review this:

Robocalls

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

donnaa1547, getting calls from someone that states you contacted them, without you actually calling them, can be overwhelming. Is this the first time you encounter this? Have you provided your number to third party groups, such as online websites?

GilbertoL_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

donnaa1547,

A call like this would definitely concern me as well. People getting calls from my number definitely isn't what we want to see. This sounds like an example of call spoofing though. You can find details about this at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-218765/ . This is when people use technology to disguise the number that shows up on caller ID to hide who they are. Depending on why this is done this isn't always illegal so stopping it isn't necessarily an option but there are a lot of things in that link which can help you if people call you while disguising their number. How does this sound?

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes