Spoofed number?
mama23dogs
Legend

I Have had several calls in recent weeks from a recorded voice offering to lower my credit card rate if I push 9.  

The calls are always local area code and same exchange as my own phone.  No option to be removed from the call list is given, so I called back and got a woman's cell phone, obviously on the road and not the robo caller. 

Next time I will play amature detective and push 9 to find out which company is calling.

IF you are a long time Verizon customer, the 729 exchange was Verizon issued back in the early-mid 90's

image.jpeg

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Spoofed number?
Snn5
Legend

I have loads that use my state's many area codes, but my app catches them via comment and record and blocks them.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

HI Snn!    I have been blocking, but the same recording is coming in from different numbers.  It's obviously spoofing, I don't know how else to explain it.

THis is my business line.  At some point I could be blocking a valid number from a client, spoofed by this credit company.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Caller ID spoofing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fun facts, but in the end, whether there is an orange box in use, an app, or a trial 3rd party service in play...carriers can't do much about it.  I see spoofing is deemed illegal when the caller seeks to defraud, but not necessarily when advertising a product or service, especially if contacting a published number.  Also, if it is a potential client, voicemail can be left and if a current client calls then their info can be saved.  Not a fix, nor really a work around.  The capabilities and shortcomings of technology.

Spoofing and Caller ID – FCC Complaints

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Lovely.   I guess it's hopeless.  If there isnt a way to track the  spoofer, then I can't do anything.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Spoofed calls can be tracked, but, it has to be done by the service provider. The provider can search the call, see where it entered the network and work their way backwards from there. Often searching involves multiple carriers and, nowadays, involves a VoIP provider as well.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

SO I have to contact my carrier each time I get a spoofed call, and let them deal with it.  I am fine with that.  I will call and ask who I contact each time and put them in my contact list.

ITs the same recording each time, but different Verizon numbers being spoofed.  I don't want my number getting spoofed too.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

My landline has been spoofed. A telemarketer often calls me and passes my own telephone number as a part of the Caller ID record.

Insofar as the service provider, I believe that they will only search if the customer agrees to press charges.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Which means they have to commit a crime, or the person who's number was spoofed has to press charges.

hmmm.  We will see.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

mama23dogs wrote:

Which means they have to commit a crime

That's the bottom line and since spoofing a number is not a crime it makes it kind of hard.