Re: Sudden poor signal strength and dropped calls
reedycreek
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been seeing the same, growing issue in 24201, 24202, 24210, 24212 areas. For several months, the signal quality has been steadily worsening in this area. At my home of 20 yrs., signal has consistently been in the 3-4 bar range and voice signal has never been an issue. Now, as of 7/17/21, I cannot hold a phone conversation from anywhere in my home. The quality of the voice connection is poor when it is working and experience repeated 'Call Failed' issues within the same call.

While I live in a semi-rural area, I am within 5 miles of 2 towers.

Beginning a few weeks ago, there began periods throughout the day where there is no service at all. The issue is consistent across 3 devices: iPhone 12 Pro and MiFi Home Internet (both mine) and a work-provided MiFi Hotspot. All 3 devices report the consistently report the same signal strength, 1-2 bars.

I have been through all of the tips to switch the iPhone in/out of Airplane Mode, switch the radio on/off, try with WiFi on/off and restart the device. The MiFi Home Internet device has been power cycled multiple times to no effect. The work-provided MiFi hotspot is portable so must be powered off between uses, it also consistently has the same issue.

Something is wrong both here and apparently across the mid-Atlantic region based on community search results for this issue. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, reedycreek, we definitely want to provide service that you can count on and I want to ensure we don't overlook any options to improve service. We appreciate your efforts and I'd be happy to help. To confirm, have there been any recent changes in your area? Is there Wi-Fi available?

0 Likes
dgmenace
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I agree. Something is going on. Old phones and new phones with a cellular signal booster connected are consistent of getting a 2bar in areas where we had full bars. Periods of early morning hour , no signal at all for 15min to a hour at a time.  A local 3rd party Verizon store in 27320 said that Verizon was changing the 3g antennas to 5g......he said that there won't be any 3g anymore and honestly I haven't seen 3g pop up on my cell in several months.  When I use signal or tower apps that say which way to point your phone or which way to point outdoor cellular signal booster antennas....It shows we are connected to a tower we never connect to that is further away. The apps say to point in same direction as normal but neither way increases signal, even disconnected. The only way to make a phone call is to use wifi calling through Spectrum.   If nobody from Verizon can tell me what's going on or when 5g will be in my area,   OR just good 4g LTE signal will be good again,  I think we will be switching all 4 phones to Spectrum wireless. We owe very little on new phones so it's no problem its just I have been with Verizon since 1997, it was Alltel back then.  Nobody but the young kid working as a 3rd party Verizon store has told me what was wrong.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dgmenace, we always want you to understand everything fully. Yes, our network team is currently working on retiring our CDMA network (3G). This will make more room for our 4G/LTE network as well as our new 5G network. Sadly, we do not, though, have details as to when you may see a difference in your area. Here are some links that go over this for you:

CDMA Retirement:  https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/ 

5G:  https://www.verizon.com/5g/ 

5G FAQs: https://www.verizon.com/support/5g-mobile-faqs/

ChristineK_VZW

0 Likes
Chellayh
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had this same problem with my Samsung S21 ever since I bought it in January. We live in an RV & travel the country & it happens everywhere there is 5G. My husband has a Pixel 3A & does not have trouble when I am. I will have 1 or 2 bars of 4G when he has 4 or 5. It acts like the phone gets stuck trying to decide which network to be on. I fully believe this would not be happening if Verizon hadn't locked the setting to allow the user to choose which band to use. I have spoken to other Samsung S21, + and Ultra users on other networks or with unlocked phones & they do not have this issue & they have this setting intact.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, we understand how important it is to stay connected. Please send us a Private Note, we would like to look into this for you.

0 Likes
vir_cotto

ChristineK_VZW,

Note that the knowledge base article states [emphasis on the last sentence added by me]:

After December 31st, 2022, if you are a Verizon customer still using a device that is 3G (CDMA) or 4G that does not support HD Voice (Non-VoLTE), the device will no longer make/receive calls, send/receive text messages, or use data services. Until this date, your device will still be able to use these services.

The problem many of us are experiencing is that as of right now, "updates" to towers means that our devices cannot use these services.  See the contradiction? When I called in and spoke to tech support, I was told that the only solution is to buy a new phone. 

I understand that VZW needs to keep moving forward, but they should be clear about how what they are doing will affect customers and how much time they have to take action.  If what they mean is that at some point between now [whenever the updates started] and 12/31/2022 your device will no longer be serviced by tower(s) near you, that is the message that should be crystal clear. I don't believe that "Until this date, your device will still be able to use these services" sends that message.

0 Likes
TornadoMom
Enthusiast - Level 2

For several months now I have been experiencing poor signal strength.   Many others in my area have expressed the same.   Cellular data is slower to load pages on cell phones or calls cut in and out and then there have been a lot of outages lately.    I know that the  FCC had a deadline for all phone providers to implement the Stir/shaken to combat spoof call spams and many providers have handled the implementation poorly which has caused issues with 10 digit dialing vs e.164 format (+1) dialing .   Maybe Verizon is one of the companies that has had a problem implementing    And then the issues with 5G .  My home sits in 5G coverage area but I do not get 5G here in Zeigler, IL    So their it is broken or the coverage map is wrong . 
And then there is the issues where Verizon doesn’t communicate with their own Tier I and Tier II support to let them know where pockets of outages are at .  The last outage we had was this morning and there wasn’t even a text notification to alert us in Southern Illinois   And then for all day today Atlanta, IL had no service and everyone in that town was complaining and no one at Verizon knew there was an issue .

so basically what I want to say as advice and what I am going to do is start sharing the link to the FCC to file a complaint . 

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

0 Likes
TornadoMom
Enthusiast - Level 2

I suggest you file a FCC complaint.   
https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

0 Likes
TornadoMom
Enthusiast - Level 2

I suggest filing an FCC Complaint