Swapping an Upgrade to Remove Line Without ETF?
wigtownwanderer

Hi, I'm on my family's line and I'm looking into getting my own phone plan.  My phone's contract doesn't end until March of next year, but my family's plan has an upgrade available on a phone other than mine. Is it possible that I/they can switch the upgrade to my line, so I can be dropped from my family's plan without an ETF? I highly doubt that I'll be sticking with Verizon, btw, but it's a (back-up) option. Sorry, Verizon, but I'm a broke college kid, and pre-paid options seem to be the way to go. Love your service, but I can't afford it right now.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Swapping an Upgrade to Remove Line Without ETF?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi wigtownwanderer - We would be crushed to see you go! I can confirm as sirguy mentioned that we are unable to alternate the contract dates between lines. Also as Ann154 mentioned, an Assumption of Liability someone else to take over the line can be completed to avoid an Early Termination Fee. You can also complete the Assumption if you decide to stay. May I ask how much are you paying on your families plan? Check out http://ww.vzw.com/moreeverything for our latest single line offers. I hope that we will be able to continue offering you superior wireless service!

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

wigtownwanderer wrote:

Hi, I'm on my family's line and I'm looking into getting my own phone plan.  My phone's contract doesn't end until March of next year, but my family's plan has an upgrade available on a phone other than mine. Is it possible that I/they can switch the upgrade to my line, so I can be dropped from my family's plan without an ETF? I highly doubt that I'll be sticking with Verizon, btw, but it's a (back-up) option. Sorry, Verizon, but I'm a broke college kid, and pre-paid options seem to be the way to go. Love your service, but I can't afford it right now.

No you can not swap upgrades that way. If you swap upgrade the original line's contract gets extended. But if you want to leave Verizon you'll have to pay the ETF which will be about $230 assuming you have a smartphone.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

sirguy wrote:

wigtownwanderer wrote:

No you can not swap upgrades that way. If you swap upgrade the original line's contract gets extended. But if you want to leave Verizon you'll have to pay the ETF which will be about $230 assuming you have a smartphone.

Or go through the Assumption of Liability process. No ETF but there could be a deposit.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi wigtownwanderer - We would be crushed to see you go! I can confirm as sirguy mentioned that we are unable to alternate the contract dates between lines. Also as Ann154 mentioned, an Assumption of Liability someone else to take over the line can be completed to avoid an Early Termination Fee. You can also complete the Assumption if you decide to stay. May I ask how much are you paying on your families plan? Check out http://ww.vzw.com/moreeverything for our latest single line offers. I hope that we will be able to continue offering you superior wireless service!

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes