Swapping phones - Add a Line?
wetherb67
Contributor - Level 1

I have a question regarding adding a line.  I currently have a Droid Charge 4G, and I am not eligible for upgrade until 04-01-14.

I'm on the Family Share Plan Unl Talk and Text 2 GB.

Is is possible to add a line, swap my current number to it, then put a "dumbphone" on the other number?  In other words, taking the Charge off and putting on a non-data dumbphone, and keeping my existing number with the brand new phone?  In effect, not having to pay an additional $43 per month?

If so, will there be an ETF for taking the Droid Charge off of one of the lines and putting the dumbphone on it?  Or by switching my number to the "new" phone does that just start me on a new 2-year contract?

Really confused on this one....help?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Swapping phones - Add a Line?
B33
Legend

Well one of my plans back about 6 months ago i wanted to put a Dead phone on it and could only put a smart phone on it to keep my Unlimited. Or that was what i was told by the Rep that i asked. So you might be able to do it but i'd say only with another smart phone an maybe one that is 4G since that is what you currently have. But it's always a Good thing to Check with Customer service as they will know what to look for on your account and what you can and can't do on it,,

The number to Call is 1-800-922-0204 Option 3 will Work.. Good Luck b33

0 Likes
wetherb67
Contributor - Level 1

Well, I definitely want to "dumbphone" it.  It will be a basic phone for a family member.  They won't need data or text messaging.  It looks like it will still cost $30 for a dumbphone, so I guess it's a pointless question....just saving $10 a month isn't that much difference.  I guess I answered my own question lol! Smiley Happy

However, I found this google-ing around.....dummy phone? 

"You should coordinate this over the phone with a Verizon Wireless customer service representative (1-800-922-0204) explaining you don’t currently qualify for an upgrade but want to establish “dummy service” at $9.99/month on a new line(s) to win a subsidized phone. Most representatives are familiar with this. But when the new phones arrive, you will want to have Verizon Wireless handle activation themselves because they are equipped to transfer those new phones to replace the existing ones on your account and not lose your unlimited data plan in the process. If you activate them yourself, they will be up and running on different phone numbers and you will have to visit a Verizon store to obtain new 4G SIM cards to switch phones to the correct lines. Let Verizon handle it, and any messes that might occur along the way."

Anyone ever done this and does it work?  I've already "lost" unlimited data, but would this allow me to do it and just pay $10 more?

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well like i mentioned it doesn't hurt Check and it is Free and it might work for what you wanting to do.. May you have good Luck.. Smiley Happy b33

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

wetherb67 wrote:

Well, I definitely want to "dumbphone" it.  It will be a basic phone for a family member.  They won't need data or text messaging.  It looks like it will still cost $30 for a dumbphone, so I guess it's a pointless question....just saving $10 a month isn't that much difference.  I guess I answered my own question lol! Smiley Happy

However, I found this google-ing around.....dummy phone? 

"You should coordinate this over the phone with a Verizon Wireless customer service representative (1-800-922-0204) explaining you don’t currently qualify for an upgrade but want to establish “dummy service” at $9.99/month on a new line(s) to win a subsidized phone. Most representatives are familiar with this. But when the new phones arrive, you will want to have Verizon Wireless handle activation themselves because they are equipped to transfer those new phones to replace the existing ones on your account and not lose your unlimited data plan in the process. If you activate them yourself, they will be up and running on different phone numbers and you will have to visit a Verizon store to obtain new 4G SIM cards to switch phones to the correct lines. Let Verizon handle it, and any messes that might occur along the way."

Anyone ever done this and does it work?  I've already "lost" unlimited data, but would this allow me to do it and just pay $10 more?

Yes this will work as long as you have a dumb phone to put on the new line. You could try selling your Droid Charge as well. There could be an activation fee involved as well $30 or $35. When you order just be sure to NOT to switch to the Share Everything plan. You can stay on your current plan.

0 Likes
wetherb67
Contributor - Level 1

Well actually it is the SHARE EVERY UNL TLK&TXT 2GB....i misnamed it earlier.  Will that make a difference?  And if I get a free dumbphone in store will this work?

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

OK, let's back up. Can you explain where you would ultimately like to be in the end? Are you trying to get to 2 dumb phones? I'm confused on where and what you want to get to.

0 Likes
wetherb67
Contributor - Level 1

Im trying to figure out if i can get a 2nd voice line for less than $30 per month really.

I have a charge now.  i have an old dumbphone to put on a new line.  I want to get a new smartphone and replace my charge and also have the dumbphone.

Also trying to find out if I could then, sell my charge since it would be off my line and if there would be any kind of ETF involved.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

Nope it's gonna cost $30 plus taxes and fees. But yes, you can get a new smartphone, replace your Charge and sell it. No fees invloved for doing that. The EFT for your new line would be based on a smartphone, $350. Only an issue if you terminate in the next 2 years. Also you may have an activation fee for the new line $30 or $35.

0 Likes
wetherb67
Contributor - Level 1

Allrighty...... Smiley Happy

So I have gone into the store and made the swap.  I added a line, got an iPhone 4.  Put my number on it, and the "new" number on my old Droid Charge.

NOW, what I would like to do is, either:

1.  Put an old flip phone (no data) on the "new" line number to bring it down to $30/month,  OR

2.  If I can find someone to assume responsibility on the new line, through a service such as CellSwapper, etc. transfer it out that way to get rid of it altogether.

My question is can I do either of these things now or should I wait a month or two before doing so?

Thanks!

0 Likes