Switching from postpaid to prepaid (keep same number)
bvand123
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am wondering how I can switch a number (to a new phone) from my current postpaid family plan to a new plan on Verizon prepaid?

I went to a Verizon Corporate store yesterday (with a new inactive phone) and was told my request could NOT be completed by them. (legal?) I was told to just activate through the phone process, however I was not given any options that were relevant to my request since I do NOT want a new number and I am not porting from a different carrier.

I've seen past threads reference support numbers and the several hours of jumping through hoops that are needed to talk to a human who actually understands Verizon's processes. I would like to avoid this if at all possible...

Overall, it seems like it would be easier to get a new SIM from a competitor and do a traditional port off Verizon entirely.

Hope I can get some help on this...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Switching from postpaid to prepaid (keep same number)
Snn5
Legend

The easiest thing to do is to call *611 and ask for prepaid because your *611 will route you automatically to post-paid services.  Make sure you are near to the end of the current billing cycle so you don't lose and time or money already being or will be billed.  If you go through the process online, I have seen where you can use your existing number, but I was not given that option when I ported back to Verizon from another prepaid carrier.  You will basically need to call and transfer post to prepaid.  You will have to make sure you are ready to fund the account for one month and you might have to settle the former postpaid account as well.  Another thing to think of is, do you own that line and number or are you a line added to another person's account?  If you are not the account owner, you will have to perform an assumption of liability to take over the line from the owner, and then transfer to prepaid.

bvand123
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the help Snn5!

Once I got on with a live person everything went smoothly.

Snn5
Legend

Glad that worked!

0 Likes