Taxes/Surcharges for 2 locations at the same time
Christina01
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ever since my husband purchased a new phone and activated it while on a job in Page, Arizona, he has been paying surcharges for the city of Page, Coconino County, and Arizona on top of the taxes for our home service area of Ventura, California. The service address listed on our account is Ventura, CA. Our account is not associated in any way with Page, AZ. He has travelled for work for years and has never paid taxes/surcharges for any location other than our home service address. I have called Verizon 3 times about this. The first 2 times, I was told that paying taxes/surcharges for 2 locations was not right, and the Page, AZ surcharges would be removed on our next bill. The charges were never removed. The third time I called, I was told that these surcharges could not be removed, and when I asked why, the representative did not have an answer. She said that she would put me on a list for a supervisor to call me, and, of course, no one ever called. I have 2 questions about this issue:

1. If activating a new phone in a location other than your home service address can result in surcharges/taxes for that other location, then what triggers those charges to be removed? Will they be removed when the phone is paid in full or are they permanent until a new phone is purchased and activated at the home service address?
  2. What policy/regulation allows a wireless company to charge a customer taxes/surcharges for more than one service area at a time? This just doesn’t seem right.

I’m hoping that a Verizon representative can respond to my questions. The customer service I have experienced in the last few months from buying the phone to dealing with these surcharges has been disturbingly poor. I’m about ready to give up on Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: Taxes/Surcharges for 2 locations at the same time
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know the importance of having the proper billing in place. I can confirm that the sales tax related to the device purchase or TPT as referred to in Arizona is based on where the phone is purchased. The sales tax is only based on the cost of the device and will stop once the phone is paid off.  The taxes and surcharges for the plan itself are related to the Primary Place of Use or "Service address" as found at https://www.verizon.com/support/how-to-change-billing-or-service-address-video/.  

-Yale

0 Likes
Christina01
Enthusiast - Level 1

Our billing address and service address are both in California. Why then are we paying a surcharge for Arizona? Thank you.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. I can understand your concern about being billed for taxes and surcharges for a different state. I would want to know as well.

In order to know why this has occurred, I will need access to your account to review the details. 

By connecting with us, you grant us permission to review your services, so we can offer you the best value. Refusing to authenticate will not impact your current services. It is your right and our duty to protect your account information. For quality, we may monitor and review this conversation. Visit our information collection and privacy policy to learn more at verizon.com/privacy. Please note that the link we provide has a timed expiration, so we encourage you to continue as soon as possible.

Authenticate and continue here:http://spr.ly/6002MKcwA 

-Roni

0 Likes
DF19
Enthusiast - Level 1

They’re doing the same thing on my account. Purchased 2 new phones in the city next to where we live, and now Verizon is charging us 3 surcharges in the city we live and the city where we purchased the phones. Verizon keeps telling us they can’t waive govt surcharges. We asked for the double dipping to stop to no avail. Looks like we may have to move on 

kh_jenn

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic. Thank you.

0 Likes