Terrible decline in cell service western North Carolina over last 2 years--used to be great
kayaks
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have been faithful Verizon customers for over 15 years and travel to the SAME western, NC cabin that has had excellent cell coverage until about 2 years ago. I've spent a couple of hours on the phone with "Customer Service" and told 2 completely different things by 2 employees and FYI neither employee could help me resolve the problem or offer meaningful information. The first employee told me someone would come out and access the situation and provide a booster if indicated. When I called the day before "The appointment" to verify I was told "We don't do that". I have a very serious health condition and want to know if I call 911 I will get help. Our cell service was so good for many years that we got rid of our landline----we need it back. Apparently the Verizon cell service has really gotten really bad in western NC towns such as Cashiers, Glenville, Franklin and Sylva. I am not alone in looking to change cell providers and do not want to waste anymore time on the phone with Verizon employees who can't even give me a resolution to the problem and don't have accurate information. I think Verizon has become complacent and they will soon start losing many customers if it hasn't happened already.  We have almost no data access (Maybe at midnight), dropped calls, calls that won't go through and text messages that are not delivered.  I don't know what has gone so wrong with Verizon but we are ready to switch carriers. There was a time when only Verizon provided good service in the area and now it is TERRIBLE. Does anyone have suggestions on other cell providers that have good coverage in the mountains of western NC?

Re: Terrible decline in cell service western North Carolina over last 2 years--used to be great
IBlaster
Enthusiast - Level 2

Had the same thing happen just a few days ago in Florida. I'm less than 5 miles from the cell tower that was messed up in the storm. Try the other service provider with an "A" and a T they have a pay as you go thing that will alow you to use a device to wifi call from your location. I travel and keep Verizon for that so I had to figure out a way to ensure I could dial in an emergency at my house.

0 Likes
Re: Terrible decline in cell service western North Carolina over last 2 years--used to be great
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are happy to review your services with you, and provide you with accurate information. To allow us to do so, please leave us a Private Note here. We look forward to working with you soon!

*Robert

0 Likes
Captjaxk

I live in the same area and I agree wholeheartedly with this post. I think it is a problem with an increase of people on the system and Verizon has been lacking in keeping up with their coverage.

0 Likes
trapmike

If you have internet service that uses a router most cell phones can use the router for phone calls and data.  Set your phone to wi-fi calling and you will be able to call and surf the internet. I use my iPhone in this respect. Verizon wireless can help you set this up if need be. Good luck. 
michael

0 Likes