Re: The Public weighs in on shared data plans
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

AZSALUKI wrote:

most of them don't read. i've tried to convey this message since before the new plans even started. i don't know why i bother? i suppose i should just let them go sign up for the share plans. sigh.

Then they'd post on here wondering how they blew through several gb of data in no time by turning on the mobile hot spot and connecting 9 devices to it. Smiley Happy

odnarud

Wait I'm getting mixed responses here.  Currently I don't have a smart phone and no data plan.  I wish to upgrade to a smart phone, can I still get the basic 2gb for $30 a month?  What if I'm an existing customer but want to start a new plan, as currently I am on with my family but nobody has smart phones.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

My understanding, if you are a current customer, you can do what ya want. If a brand new customer, you can not

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

If you're on the plan that was available prior to the Share everything, Nationwide Talk I believe, you can upgrade the lines to smart phones and just need to add the $30 for 2gb for each line. You do NOT have to go to the Share everything.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

you may however, have to do an assumption of liability to take your line off of your family's plan. this should allow you to keep your number AND be considered a current customer. i'm sure about your exact situation. the key is that your new account show up as a current customer. current customers can stay on their plans. you'll likely need to go in to verizon with the account holder of your plan and make sure it will work, but it should.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe that AOL will make the person taking over the line considered a new customer and subject to the currently available pricing options.

On the other hand, the customer could stay with the family plan and add the individual tiered data plan to their line.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

tikibar1 wrote:

Extending your contract does not force you onto the Shared Everything plan, i.e.,

If one has unlimited data and their contract runs out what advantage is it to them to extend a contract? They can't use an upgrade lest they lose the unlimited. Why would they extend a contract instead of just being month to month where they can leave without any ETF anytime they want if they feel the need too?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

The advantage to me is to receive a phone at $400 less than retail price. I would be paying the same amount for data, actually $6 more/month because the 2GB tier does not qualify for employee discounts which I currently receive on my unlimited package. Right now, though, I can't see myself going to the Share Everything plan. Things could change, though.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

While your points are valid, my point was that you aren't FORCED onto the Shared Everything plan, which seemed to be the assumption of the person I was responding to initially.  You have options.  The person I was responding to didn't say if they had unlimited data or not.  There are several other threads where customers with unlimited data are choosing to switch to the new plan for various reasons.  Maybe they are happy with their service, want/need a new phone, realize they don't use that much data, prefer to buy subsidized (or can't/won't pay full price or prefer not to buy elsewhere), and thus choose to enter a new contract?  Maybe others are like you and prefer to hang on to unlimited by whatever means necessary and/or prefer being month-to-month if they decide to leave.  Again, it's a choice.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

Brian68 wrote:

If one has unlimited data and their contract runs out what advantage is it to them to extend a contract? They can't use an upgrade lest they lose the unlimited. Why would they extend a contract instead of just being month to month where they can leave without any ETF anytime they want if they feel the need too?

i think tikibar1 was just pointing out that you CAN extend you contract and get a subsidized phone WITHOUT moving to the share everything plan. i just upgraded my wif'e's basic phone to the gsiii last week. i got the subsidized price and kept our current plan (i have unlimited). i simply selected the 2 gig for $30 data plan on her new line. many people believe that share everything is their only option if they want to upgrade, but it's not.

0 Likes