The Truth about Verizon First Responder Priority Features
mervin0587
Enthusiast - Level 3

For any first responder signed up with Verizon Wireless' Mobile Broadband Priority or Wireless Priority Service, be aware the service is not "always on" as advertised by Verizon.  The features may be on your line or device, but Verizon actually has to activate the priority capabilities on their end during an ongoing disaster, they are not "always on" as advertised.  Most of my department has made the switch to FirstNet which offers these priority features at all times.  Verizon talked me into staying with them stating they could offer me the same.  After being at various events on saturated networks and noticing no difference than before the features were added, I started inquiring and finally got the correct answer from a technical support rep that it could take hours or days after a catastrophic disaster for these services to be turned on on Verizon's end.  Once FirstNet's coverage reaches close to that of Verizon's, I will officially be making the switch.  The reason for my post is so that other responders are aware that they do not need to rely on priority features during local incidents of network overload, the priority features on your device will be of absolutely no benefit for you most of the time.  I hate this because I've been a Verizon customer since 2005 and they've always advertised that they are "the dedicated first reponder network".  Apparently that advertisement is no longer valid.

Re: The Truth about Verizon First Responder Priority Features
boringusername
Master - Level 1

So? the priority is mention for emergencies. not so you can use 500 GB or more per month so you can repalce your home internet. Go sign up fo Firstnet like you should be doing anyway

deloused
Master - Level 3

The actual truth is the priority features for First Responders are not advertised by Verizon or AT&T as ‘always on’, because they are not.

AT&T restricts prioritization to specific approved business apps, and also only allows 22gb/month of data before removing a customer from their First Net “Unlimited” plan.

Its always best to read the terms & conditions of the offers to get the best plan for you. 

0 Likes
mervin0587
Enthusiast - Level 3

Right now I'm still below my 22gb of high speed and still have 7 days to go until it resets.  Verizon's webiste does specify "always on" priority voice and data, and i also have emails from technical support specifically saying it's "always on".  My issue is that Verizon is guaranteeing that responders can remain connected ahead of other users, when they actually are not the majority of the time.  It's a false sense of security and false advertisements.

GDU
Enthusiast - Level 1

AT&T firstnet delivers Time and Time again Have a look at AT&T. During COVID my Verizon service is almost useless well it really is useless.  My AT&T Firstnet has been my saving grace.  I use my AT&T firstnet hot spot to get my Verizon service to work.  The end of my next Verizon billing cycle will be the date I switch my Verizon to AT&T firstnet and I can’t wait 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I definitely understand the significant role our devices play in our day-to-day life, and it would be difficult to be happy with anything that's not working. Nobody here wants you to leave. 
Let's take a closer look. First up is the area. May we have a nearby intersection where you are along with the city, state, and zip code ?
DavidH_VZW

0 Likes
mervin0587
Enthusiast - Level 3

I called Verizon numerous times expressing concerns that the priority features being added to my line have made no difference in the way my phone performs while on a saturated network.  They always want me to perform a speed test and send to them, but I'm usually already off the saturated network so their excuse was always to contact them during the moment I've experiencing an issue.  So, I have three times contacted them during having an issues.  They put in a service ticket every time and 24-hours later they come back and say it was due to being in a poor service area.  I had 3 and 4 bars of service all three times (4 bars is the max on my iphone).  Still no solution and they act as if they don't even care.  They ask me to do the same things over and over and over.....turn my phone off and back on.  Remove the SIM card and replace it.  Reset network settings.  Just a bunch of runaround.  I'd like to switch to FirstNet but AT&T FirstNet just don't offer the same coverage in the rural areas as Verizon despite their recent addition of towers with the new government contract.

0 Likes
FlusteredFirstRespond
Enthusiast - Level 1

I get the same run around from Verizon and looking to switch all my business to FirstNet when it comes available unless someone can give me real answers from Verizon. I am in an area heavily congested on the weekends and have internet issues, during the week it works great. Aways at full strength with clear line of sight to the tower just over a quarter mile away. Their answer is still that I am in a marginal area and do not want to admit it is a capacity issue of the tower. First Responder status does jack sh*t for you. just a bunch of empty promises!

mervin0587
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yep, that’s the same response I get every, single, time.  I believe AT&T FirstNet has caught up with coverage and possibly even exceeded coverage per square mile.  

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

FlusteredFirstRespond,

Getting the service you need is always important. We want to make sure you can count on your service wherever and whenever you need it. We're glad to help figure out a solution. What plan do you have with us? What are the zip code and nearest cross streets to where you're having this issue?

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes