Threatened by Verizon
soontobeattagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

Incredulous.

After an hour long call in which the customer service rep was unable to explain a discrepancy with the Friends and Family plan, a 'supervisor' by the name of Samantha took over the call. Samantha was immediately defensive and spoke over our questions as if she weren't in a customer service position. Imagine being berated by Verizon personell for questions on your bill? We spent multiple times asking the same questions only to be spoken over and given extreme attitude by a representative of the company we are paying for their service.

Several long minutes later and after some heated exchanges we were finally given how the billing cycle works and why the charges on the bill existed, something we were unable to get between the 1st customer rep and something the 'supervisor' decided that she didn't want to explain at our pace. The conversation soured so much that we inquired about cancellation, to which Samantha replied 'Ok, that will be $500 for the first phone, $300 for the second phone and another $300 for fees, would you like me to cancel that for you'? I'd had enough of being yelled at by customer service and intended on writing a long review about it, something I told Samantha before getting off the phone.

I then found out something even more curious....

Verizon seems to have no direct online source for complaints, just a customer complaint line that I was only able to dig up after several Google searches.

In speaking with the complaints department the representative there said he read the notes on the account and that all he could do was forward the complaint. The overall tone of the conversation was that he wasn't worried about the complaint based on what the original supervisor put in her notes (obviously due to the backlash she knew was coming). In other words, he blew me off and then told me 'have a nice day' as sarcastically as possible to add insult to injury.

Originally we had no complaints with Verizon. The service is adequate, and otherwise no issues. Tonight changed all that for me.

4 Things

1) The customer service reps need to be able to explain plans and billing discrepencies.

2) Supervisors don't get to yell at the customers or otherwise speak over them without fielding their questions.

3) Verizon has no direct route for customer complaints. The 'complaints department' relies on notes from other Verizon staff, not from you.

4) Don't threaten your customer with cancellation fees to get them to shut up.

I have no idea how Verizon got JD Power associates customer service award. This was the very first time I have ever called customer service and they were the most obnoxious and condescending crew I have spoken to of any company.

Does anybody know how these cancellation fees work? I would hate to honestly be stuck with a company that values my service so litte.

This was an awful experience.

Labels (1)
Re: Threatened by Verizon
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The online path is the "Contact Us" at the top of the Verizon Wireless website.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Early Termination Fee (ETF) for a smartphone is 350 minus $10 for each full month of your contract term that you complete.  For a basic phone, it's $175 minus $5 for each full month of your contract term that you complete.  Cancellations become effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle, and you are responsible for all charges incurred until then. 

0 Likes
soontobeattagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yea, looked under Contact Us but 'Customer Service' seems to infer the standard billing reps rather than actual complaints. There is nothing actually labeled complaints. No matter, I was able to finally find it but those fees are incredibly high. I probably would've inquired more about cancellations when I got the phone had I anticipated ever dropping the service.

Is this standard fare for how Verizon handles customers? It doesn't seem like raw luck I was able to run into several bad apples in one night.

This is unacceptable.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Does ATT, Sprint, USCC, Alltel, Walmart, GM, Chrysler, etc...... have a direct link for complaints? If so, please share.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The only VZW employees on this peer to peer community forum are clearly marked as "Wireless Employee" in their community rank and by their avatar.  Everyone else are customers (either current, future or former customers) just like you.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
soontobeattagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

If that were true reasonable posts that point out problems with Verizon wouldn't be deleted arbitrarily.

So far, as a 'community member' it certainly seems like this is a forum is an extension of their customer service. You can continue to answer posts that you are deleting while also claiming no connection to Verizon. Sounds like something customers would do.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

soontobeattagain wrote:

If that were true reasonable posts that point out problems with Verizon wouldn't be deleted arbitrarily.

So far, as a 'community member' it certainly seems like this is a forum is an extension of their customer service. You can continue to answer posts that you are deleting while also claiming no connection to Verizon. Sounds like something customers would do.

I have no connection to Verizon Wireless other then getting a bill from them every month.  I was in the process of writing reply when all of a sudden I couldn't.  So to be safe I copied the reply to my clipboard and refreshed the page to find out why it didn't want to post.  This forum was created as a place where customers can ask other customer for advice.  It was only in the last couple of years that there were Verizon employees from their social media team on here.  Also I don't delete my posts.

0 Likes
pattiekat
Enthusiast - Level 2

Uh, overall I'm happier with Verizon, including customer service, than any other carrier I've had.  With that being said, I've experienced a little of what you're talking about, when I'm just asking some basic question, and they go on and on about something unrelated, or irrelevant to my question.  They seem to insist on using "their language and references", rather than hear what the customer is talking about.  For instance, I was asking about charges for a particular "service period" ie: Nov3 - Dec2, and she could not use that term--that is, she kept rambling about my December bill.  That just confuses me, because I'm thinking,,, is she referrring to my usage in December, or is she talking about the end of the service period date of Dec2, which actually refers to my usage charges for November mostly.

Anyway, when I had Sprint, which was the worst of my experiences, I had to write a letter to the Attorney General,( uh-of the state where I signed my contract with Sprint, I think, not necessarily the same as where I was currently staying and experiencing the problem) explaining the facts about why their charges were not valid and that their service was inadequate, because I was unable to get reliable service in a particular area THAT THEY CLAIM TO PROVIDE, in order to get out of my contract without paying the fees they planned to attach.  It was basically a: "Failed to provide service as stated in YOUR END of the contract. If I can't make calls, receive calls, or get dropped for the majority of the calls that go through, then I'm not paying for what you cannot provide".  I don't know if I was required, but I also sent a letter to the BBB, which has to be the one for the area and address  where the Corporation is located, not your area.

It was a hassle, but they dropped all previously disputed charges, and agreed to cancel my contract without the cancellation fees.  Just make sure you have documentation, and dates, etc to provide Atty General, to save time, and make sure they understand the facts, because they will contact Sprint about the complaint and get their side of the story.

Remember, all said and done, IT WORKED!

soontobeattagain
Enthusiast - Level 2

This was exactly my experience. Verizon got frustrated with being questioned on bill charges, and in fact were unable to explain them for over an hour on the phone. The supervisor decided to take the offensive after the original rep wasted our time. If I were to speak to customers using my point-of-view and terms within my industry they would never understand me. The object of being in customer service is to try to see an issue from the CUSTOMER SIDE.

Here is a copy of the post that was deleted earlier by a poster who seems to have disappeared:

The 'inability' of your employee to properly translate costs on a bill is your problem not ours. If I ask a waiter why I'm being charged for pickles and he says because 'pickles are in season, you should know this' it's the wrong answer. My guess is that customers call in daily to question charges on bills, that doesn't give your people rights to berate them instead of spending time explaining how a particular charge is valid. 'You should know' is not a defense. My guess is that you are a Verizon employee and this post is an example of the attitude problem within your organization. If you know something about this situation other than what you are reading, feel free to expand, otherwise my guess is that you will never see an 'issue', you will simply try to cover your behind.

Also, getting frustrated and quoting exorbitant cancellation fees as a way to get back at the customer is a threat, no more no less. They may be valid charges, but they were delivered by a clearly angry and overbearing Verizon employee for the purpose of intimidating the customer. This was the CUSTOMER representative.

Anything else?

0 Likes