Re: Throttling of unlimited 4g
B33
Legend

With public Wi-Fi I agree, With my Home Wi-Fi I was amazed by the speeds I was getting with Cox's Premium and now with there preferred,  on there premium plan I was hitting speeds up to 100 Mbps Download.. Now the Speeds are around 60 to 65 Mbps,  On one occasion I was running a Quadrant Standard Test on my one m8 and it was the fastest test I had ever seen on any Smartphone I've owned the CPU put out a reading of 25182..

M9
Contributor - Level 1

Yea, the M8 is fast. I thought about waiting for the M8 version of the max, but my bottleneck has always been network speed, not the proc.

0 Likes
schadenfroh
Enthusiast - Level 2

As far as I know, the Federal Court ruling striking down Net Neutrality is a separate issue than the terms that Verizon agreed to when it licensed the 700mhz Block C spectrum (unless there is a separate ruling that I wasn't aware of).

Politics are fun, not sure if Wheeler's motivation was to promote the Democratic Party as the "party of the people", has a grandfathered Verizon Unlimited Plan, or if he is a shill for Comcast out to harass the wireless folks (which would be funny)... rarely are the motivations of politicians benevolent, but sometimes they can get things done when it is for their own benefit.  However, I'm dubious this will end to the consumer's liking.  My guess is that Verizon will just eliminate grandfathered unlimited data plans altogether and just lose that tiny (?) number of customers to other carriers, likely cheaper than upgrading their infrastructure. 

Also, I never said bandwidth is equal to data usage, I said that they are linked.  Think Volts (data request) vs Ohms (bandwidth).  If you limit someone to 56K speeds, their data usage will decrease since they won't use it as much and they will be limited in what they can do.

0 Likes
M9
Contributor - Level 1

Of the 4 major carriers VZW has the least % of it's postpaid customers still on unlimited data @ 24%. I wonder what % of the 76% are dumbphones? AT&T was still in 40 something % range because they still allow their customers subsidized upgrades & Sprint & T-Mobile still offer unlimited. I wouldn't call 24% tiny. It is over 20 million paying customers.

0 Likes
M9
Contributor - Level 1

I checked the latest #s r

VZW-22%

AT&T-44%

T-Mobile-78%

Sprint-78%

So a rather substantial % maybe even a majority of US smartphone customers have unlimited.

0 Likes
B33
Legend
rcschnoor
Legend

M9 wrote:Of the 4 major carriers VZW has the least % of it's postpaid customers still on unlimited data @ 24%. I wonder what % of the 76% are dumbphones?

Take a look at THIS article. According to it, 70% of Verizon customers are smartphone users. That would make 48% of Verizon customers smartphone users ON TIERED DATA and 22% of Verizon customers smartphone users with unlimited data. This leaves 30% of Verizon customers as basic phone users.

Of course, I don't know how this incorporates pre-paid phone in the mix. Of course, this article is also from 7 months ago and the smartphone base could have increased while the unlimited data base could have shrunk.

M9
Contributor - Level 1

So roughly 33% of VZW phone data users r still on unlimited. Not quite the tiny, inconsequential miniorty some have claimed. I thought we must still be pretty numerous or VZW wouldn't go to all this trouble to throttle us.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I notice the article you have linked makes some BIG mis-statements OR some serious assumptions which could mislead some about what the true statistics are.

For example,

"Take for example, a MORE Everything plan with 10GB of data. Clearly, if someone has a 10GB MORE Everything plan, they are using heavy amounts of data, maybe a lot more than an unlimited data user. But that’s the thing – Verizon isn’t throttling them or lessening their experience to help out other customers. Even if that MORE Everything plan is using more than 4.7GB of data per month, which is considered in the top 5% of data users, because they are on a tiered data plan, they are not throttled."

This is a VERY misleading statement, one which the author either did not think very much about OR is purposefully trying to deceive people into believing something which may not be true.

It is NOT CLEAR if someone has a 10 GB More Everything plan that they are using heavy amounts of data. Yes, if someone has a SINGLE line on a More Everything plan, they are most likely using heavy amounts of data, BUT if someone has a 10 GB More Everything plan with 4 lines on it, that is simply an average of 2.5 GB per line. This is at best misleading.

M9
Contributor - Level 1

Their cash cows udders (minutes) have dried up. They r trying to make data the replacement.

0 Likes