Re: Throttling of unlimited 4g
rcschnoor
Legend

I assume you mean 33% of "smartphone" users are still on unlimited. In one of your previous posts, you had stated you had "checked the latest #s" and said that 22% of Verizon customers are still on unlimited.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Let's correct some of this math.  When Verizon ended unlimited data in July 2011 only 36% of 89.7 million has smartphones. Or 32.3 million. Now while most had unlimited data at that time not all did, but let's assume 100% anyway. Now if one assumed all 32.3 million unlimited data customers are still with Verizon and still on unlimited data( unrealistic ) since Verizon now has 98.6 million customers that percentage would be at best 32.8%. Of course we know it's not close to that.

As of the end of quarter 2( June 30) 75% of phones where smartphones. Also 55% Were on More  Everything. As we all know More Everything doesn't have unlimited data. So the unlimited data customers are part of the 45% that are Nationwide pricing. So that's 44.4 million. If we assume that Nationwide has the same % of smartphones. That's 33.3 million smartphones. Of course it would be ridiculous to assume all 33.3 million are on unlimited data. Even if we generously assume 75% are we get 25 million. 25 million of 98.6 million is 25.4%. So at best it's 25%. Also Verizon says it has 20 million customers with 3G only smartphone which have ALWAYS been throttled. So this new policy doesn't even affect them. Assuming 45% of those 20 million or 9 million are on Nationwide, that leaves at best 16 million 4G smartphones or 16% that would be on unlimited data and affected by this new policy. And that's very generous estimate.

Also on this topic all 3 other carriers have the same sort of policy toward unlimited data users. YES even T-Mobile. Second if the FCC really wants to prevent Verizon form "throttling" unlimited data customers Verizon can simply kill off unlimited data. There isn't any rule or law that can force Verizon to keep unlimited data. Is that a better solution? I wish they do it but I don't think it's better for those on unlimited.

Also let's stop over reacting. First you'd have to be in the top 5%. Even if you believed that 33% still had unlimited data then you're admitting only 15% of all unlimited data customers would even be under this policy. Even if you're in the top 5% you are only "throttled" if a tower is congested and only while the tower is congested. It's not even a permanent throttle. One could use 500 GB a month and never be throttled if the towers they use are never congested. So for basically a less than 1% chance of getting throttled people are getting their knickers in a bind.

Personally I hope the FCC pushes the issue and Verizon says F It and gets rid of unlimited data. Where are these unlimited data customers going to go then? To Sprint or T-Mobile who have the SAME policy as they were complaining about Verizon was wanting to do?

rcschnoor
Legend

I had forgotten that unlimited data user who only had 3G phones were already being throttled AND they were being throttled at a much more restrictive rate. Their throttling  continues until the end of their billing cycle, unlike the current iteration which only lasts until the user leaves the range of a congested tower and/or that tower is no longer congested.

That DOES lower the amount of users which this throttling will affect.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well RC that is something you'd have to take up with Kellex I just seen it" & put it on here.. for members of the Forum  to read..  In the End it's  Either going to go Verizon's Way or the F.C.C's Way I guess we'll all know soon.!

But the Weekend is Here so Have a Good Weekend.!  b

0 Likes
Not applicable

B33 wrote:

Well RC that is something you'd have to take up with Kellex I just seen it" & put it on here.. for members of the Forum  to read..  In the End it's  Either going to go Verizon's Way or the F.C.C's Way I guess we'll all know soon.!

But the Weekend is Here so Have a Good Weekend.!  b

It's going to be Verizon's way because if Verizon can't throttle unlimited data customers they simply won't have ANY unlimited data customers. You can quote me on that.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

That was not meant in any way to be negative towards you B33, simply pointing out some interesting wording in the article.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Was interesting wasn't it.. I'll  D.M. the rest I want to tell ya.. b

0 Likes
Not applicable

The funny part is if the rule was not able to throttle 4G when the spectrum was obtained what changed that now makes it they can throttle it now?

They still have the spectrum (Verizon)?

Even at 25% or 35% or even more this constant statement of Verizon will simply drop unlimited out right is totally inaccurate.

They risk to lose millions of customers. They risk lawsuits and even though Class Actions are not allowed per ruling of the US Supreme Court, the ruling states in CERTAIN cases. They are still allowed.

The FCC and those certain cases; most likely will cause Verizon a heap of hurt and loss of revenue.

Of which like the fee to pay your invoice by credit card was quickly abandoned. So will the throttling or loss of it.

Verizon can as has been said do what they wish, but will they? I highly doubt it.

And "B" have a great weekend!

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe the AWS frequency isn't subject to the FCC ruling for the 700 MHz Block C frequency. They can throttle that frequency all they want.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Not applicable

Ah ha, thank you for telling me.Smiley Happy