Throttling seems to have been taken to an extreme lately.
McWillies

Living out in the middle of nowhere has its disadvantages. Slow satellite internet is one of the major ones. After spending weeks of browsing data plans and hotspots, I decided a tablet with the unlimited mobile plan would be my best option. After receiving the tablet and setting up the plan, I was fairly happy. Not extremely happy due to the lack of service (-115 dBm anywhere in or out of the house, nearly a deadzone). I was okay with the 4mbps data speeds I was getting while not being "de-prioritized". Even while being de-prioritized, I would only see the effects a few hours of the day, but would still stay around 600kbps which is just enough to watch 360p video. Lately I've noticed I am seeing "de-prioritization" (fancy word for being throttled) speeds nearly 100% of the time after I pass the 22GB of non-de-prioritized data. Running speedtests with many different apps all yield similar results. Sometimes below 300kbps, but usually between 300 and 500 kbps. Those speeds are absolutely ridiculous, especially considering how much I pay for my plan. No matter how ridiculous it is, you guys are going to spit out the same thing over and over, "Those speeds are within the 3G speeds allotted while being de-prioritized". I've read a lot of complaints about this same or similar issue from other people. The response from most Verizon reps is along the lines of, "Our unlimited plans are now working as they were meant to from the beginning". Meaning you made it look good in the beginning, then when you got enough people using the unlimited plan you decided to tighten the leash so much we can't breathe.

Now you've decided to come out with these new plans... $75 a month for unlimited LTE with the possibility of being throttled at all times and unlimited hotspot with no LTE, just 600kbps. You basically took the plan that I have and made it even shittier. Then a plan for $85/month ($5 more than what I pay) that is basically the exact same plan I have, except for 5GB more of "high speed" hotspot data.

Would just like to know if there is any way you guys can make the current horrible service I'm receiving any better. Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Throttling seems to have been taken to an extreme lately.
berlinlt2
Contributor - Level 1

I'm in the same boat as you. All I get for internet besides phone is satellite. I had sprint and it wasn't bad but I had a lot of areas north of me where there was no service or I was roaming So I changed back to Verizon and paying 8 more than sprint. I was ok with that. What I'm not ok which I just found out is that even though you are allowed 22 gb before possible being depriotized and 15 gb of hotspot data that even though you may use your hotspot right off the bat it does not go towards the 15gb of hotspot. It will go towards the 22gb. By the 12 day in my contract my Verizon said I used just over 22 gb and my phone shows 20. My phone shows 10 gb was hotspot. I contacted Verizon multiple times and they told me hotspot data counts towards your 22 gb but once you use that up. You are guaranteed 15 gb of hotspot data at 4g speeds. I asked multiple reps do 4 year olds come up with these rules? Whats the point of saying you get 22gb of data and 15gb of hotspot when the hotspot can be used against the 22. When I was with sprint your phone data was separate from you hotspot data. I could use all my hotspot on day 1 if I wanted and it would not effect my phone. What a scam Verizon is running. I'm ready to leave for the second time and go back to sprint

0 Likes
BenMc82

I was sold on the unlimited plan when they rolled it out.  They specifically told me that  only Jetpacks are throttled after 10gb, not mobile hotspot.  I spoke with 2 sales representatives about this to confirm back In February of 2017.  The service worked as promised for the first five months of the unlimited roll out.  Now,  they changed their plans and throttled what they promised they would not throttle (phone hotspot).  This is the second time Verizon has sold me something and did not deliver.  After 17 years with this company I am now having to look at other options... I bought this service for a work application and now I have a useless service that I can't even edit Google Docs because it's so slow...come Verizon!!

0 Likes
McWillies

If you haven't heard of it before, look up "AT&T Fixed Wireless". It seems like a good option for people like us. Not sure how tech savvy you are, but it would be faster than your satellite internet by a good bit. The reason satellite is so slow is because the packets of data must be sent from your satellite dish, all the way to a satellite in space, then back to your dish. This is known as latency (the amount of time it takes for a packet of data to load). With the fixed wireless your latency will be a lot lower (better) than with satellite. There is a big caveat though. It uses a technology where the antenna they set up must have a direct line of sight to the cell tower. If you don't have a cell tower close to you and there's tons of trees and hills, there is a chance it won't work for you. It's also only available in about ten states in the southern U.S.

Like I said, just take a look at it, seems like a feasible option.

0 Likes
McWillies

Yeah I know how you feel! Being a college student, I have to use internet all the time to do my school work. When Verizon decides to throttle me, I have to either find an assignment that's not online or just stop working altogether.

My plan also worked about that same time frame as yours. Then recently (since the new new plans rolled out) my device has been horrible. I have always had bad reception but just decided to deal with it because it's my only option.

0 Likes
BenMc82

During the rollout of the original unlimited plan, did anybody else experienced sales people who promised hotspot over the phone would not be throttled?  That's what they told me, and that's what I experienced for five months.... now, they downgraded their service and want me to pay more for a lesser version of what was originally promised to me in an unlimited plan... when I called Verizon they say I'm the one that's wrong. 

I experience the same thing when I got my iPhone 7, they sent me a promotional email saying I was eligible for a free iPhone 7 with trade in... The sales rep said I was eligible, and on the other end I still got billed for the phones ( which I'm still paying off!).  It's like, they will tell you anything to make a sale,  not deliver and then blame the customer...

0 Likes