Tools for Monitoring Usage?
jfredsr

On this page I find the following, along with other info:

Usage Alerts –  A free tool that helps you monitor your usage via text messages sent directly to your mobile device

Usage Alerts         
My Verizon
Usage Meters
CostFree
Access Method• Text Messaging
• Email
Automatic NotificationsYes, for data usage.
See below for voice
and messaging usage*

Usage Alerts

This tool helps you monitor your usage via free text messages sent directly to your mobile device and / or emails sent to your email account. We offer two different types of free usage alerts: data usage alerts and voice and messaging alerts.

Voice and Messaging Alerts: If you have usage based pricing for voice or messaging, we may send you a free text message alert if you exceed, or are trending to exceed, your allowances on or around the twentieth day of your bill cycle.

How to Get It

Usage alerts are included with all usage based plans; no initial setup is required.

I just had a bill with $112 overage for voice, I believe the overage began 13 days before the end of my billing cycle.  If I'm reading the above correctly I should have been notified but wasn't.  Associate I spoke with couldn't explain but did offer 30% discount.  @.45/min. the charge is much too high anyway.   Can anyone explain why I wasn't notified so I could avoid this overage?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Tools for Monitoring Usage?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The automatic alert systems do not cover the initial month of a new device or service plan.  Is this a new device you had an overage with?

My experiences with the automatic monitoring systems have been mixed.  The only thing I find to be consistent is calling into the 1800 number and checking my data from there.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I understand your frustration of receiving a bill that isn't what you expected but sometimes this happened because a number of possible things that may have been over looked or even simply a possible error but I have to point out that the usage automated system updates daily but isn't guaranteed to be 100% reliable because of a number of different variables that could cause the information to be off.  My suggestion is to use the #BAL from the device or #MIN to check usage, these are usually closer to the correct usage balance.

Another got suggestion to avoid this from happening is to log into your MyVerizon app on your device or online and keep track of your activity there..

0 Likes
jfredsr

Not new, 2 years in August.

I just want them to do what they say they will or not charge when they don't.

0 Likes
jfredsr

I saw nothing about it not being reliable.  This happened primarily because the person with the overage wasn't aware that incoming calls counted like outgoing.  Contrary to experience with corded phone.

0 Likes
shellman

I too just got hit with an overage fee of $120-ish and am looking to set up the usage alerts. MY account dates back to 1996, so this is by no means a new account. any pointers would be appreciated.

0 Likes
jfredsr

Well, I'm patiently waiting for a call from Verizon supervisor to explain.  Note that they say no set up required.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

jfredsr wrote:

I saw nothing about it not being reliable.  This happened primarily because the person with the overage wasn't aware that incoming calls counted like outgoing.  Contrary to experience with corded phone.

This may been the wrong way to phrase that, basically I was pointing out that the usage information data shouldn't be the soul information to verify the amount of usage for the month.  As far as I know the information in this area only update once a day and this could make users misunderstand the data.

0 Likes
jfredsr

Once a day would be good.  Never is not good.  If they offer it - shouldn't it be reliable?

0 Likes
shellman

When I was in the store today, customer service said I was not setup to receive any alerts. I'm on the phone with tech support right now trying to set this up.

0 Likes