Tower update removes my service
vir_cotto

So I have an iPhone 5. For the last several years my signal strength usually shows 4 or 5 (of 5) bars, but may go as low as 2 bars (which still works just fine). Earlier this week I started having problems calling/receiving calls and sending/receiving text messages. My signal strength sometimes drops to 1 or zero bars, or shows "no service" for periods of time, especially after initiating a call. Walking outside doesn't help.

After spending an hour in vain attempting to call my doctor today, I spent over 4 hours with VZW tech support (mostly on hold, but also doing all of the resets, etc. they asked for), and long story short I was told that my tower was updated and it no longer supports my iPhone 5, so  I'll have to buy a new phone.

I was under the impression that VZW wasn't kicking us off until 2022. From the VZ knowledgebase:

After December 31st, 2022, if you are a Verizon customer still using a device that is 3G (CDMA) or 4G that does not support HD Voice (Non-VoLTE), the device will no longer make/receive calls, send/receive text messages, or use data services. Until this date, your device will still be able to use these services.

May I please have my service back (at least through this December)?

0 Likes
Re: Tower update removes my service
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would be happy to review your area with you to ensure your device can be reactivated. To allow us to do so, please provide us with the ZIP Code that you are in for this matter. *Robert

0 Likes
vir_cotto

My zip is 21042

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want you to have excellent service. We'd like to see what's going on. Let's get to the bottom of this. Please send us a Private Note for assistance. *Melissa

0 Likes
vir_cotto

Well, I just received an email asking if I received the answer I was looking for. So the answer is no. I didn't get any response to the private message I was asked to send.

I was advised by someone who used to work for Tom Wheeler to file an FCC complaint to force VZW to respond. Guess that makes sense.

0 Likes