Trade-In kits not recieved FOUR times - finally I sent with self-printed label - Trade in value credited only a FRACTION of the promised amount
jennk1
Contributor - Level 1

After reading through so many posts about these same issues with Trade-ins, I can see that this is a pattern with Verizon and feel strongly that the FCC and/or my State Attorney General needs to look into this.  I consider it a deceptive business practice to entice new customers with trade-in credits and then NEVER send the required trade-in kits (even after repeated requests), and then when the customer finally mails them in without the kit - the trade-in value credit is only a FRACTION of what was promised.   

Here is what happened to me:   I am a new customer and traded-in four Iphones.   The promised value of the trade-in credit was $2400 ($400 + $400 + $800 + $800).     When the new phones arrived, the shipment was supposed to come with the trade-in kits (the bubble envelope and mailing label for EACH phone), but it did not.   I called and used the chat function and used the online request THREE additional times to report the problem and request new trade-in kits and they were never sent.   Each time I requested I was feeling more and more panic that I would miss the 30 day deadline.   I even offered to drive the phones to a physical store, but they said that was not allowed.  I was told they noted my account with a "documented promise" to assure that I would receive the original quoted trade-in values and not to worry about the 30 days.   They assured me that the 30-day deadline was not a problem, and I would be credited full quoted value once they were received.   They verified my address each time (also, the address clearly worked to send the new phones - so there is no excuse for the trade-in kits to not arrive correctly).   Finally, they instructed me a way to request a mailing label that I needed to print myself.   There were big warnings on the Verizon trade-in page that you MUST use the trade-in kit, but the representative assured me that the printed mailing label would be perfectly fine even though that contradicted their own website.   Note that I have all this documented in a chat.

So, I got all my phones packed up and shipped (with a photo of all phones powered on and operating next to each mailing label).   I paid for my own shipping envelopes.  UPS sent "proof of delivery" that all four phones were delivered to Verizon.

After a week or so I started receiving e-mails from Verizon that "we updated your trade-in value".  Here is what I have received so far:

Iphone 8: $400 - no acknowledgement - UPS shows it was delivered on 9/19

Iphone 8 Plus: $400 has been updated to $71.00

Iphone XR: $800 has been updated to $95.00

Iphone XR: $800 has been updated to $47.50

So, basically, they are only giving me a little more than $200 of the $2400 they promised and one phone is unaccounted for.  

Clearly I am not alone in this behavior by Verizon based on the number of complaints here and elsewhere.   It is a pattern of either negligence or willfully discouraging trade-ins by never providing trade-in kits - and then grossly discounting the trade-in value if the customer miraculously finds a way to send the phones without the kit.    I have spent hours on the phone and chat trying to solve problem, to no avail.   Each time the customer service rep assures me that this is very unusual, and they will resolve it for me and "not to worry", that I will be credited the full amount of the promised trade-in.   I am exhausted and frustrated.   

I am waiting one more day before I submit my complaint to both the FCC and WA State Attorney General.  I encourage others who experience similar problems to do the same.

Re: Trade-In kits not recieved FOUR times - finally I sent with self-printed label - Trade in value
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jennk1,

As a consumer myself, I know it's vital to get the proper promotions that are promised. I can understand where your concern is coming from regarding the difference in value. I'm eager to assist you in addressing this. Please respond to the Private Message we're sending so we can get a solution in place. 

-Ryan

0 Likes
Re: Trade-In kits not recieved FOUR times - finally I sent with self-printed label - Trade in value credited only a FRACTION of the promised amount
jennk1
Contributor - Level 1

Follow-up:

I want to report that I did begin conversation with several Verizon employees via the messaging and secure chat feature.    My issues with the trade in credits are still not resolved.  

I spent another 3+ hours today trying to reach a resolution, explaining the situation multiple times before someone finally acknowledged there was still a problem that needed fixing.  Apparently the knee j*rk response from customer service is to justify what is happening and claim there really isn’t a problem - even if that means disregarding reality and making things up.   I persevered and finally was told they agreed that the trade-in credits were missing on one of the phone lines are submitting a ticket for it to be fixed.  I’m supposed to check back in 24 hours…. I’m not holding my breath.   

At any rate, my concluding response to them was that I wanted them to share my experience with executive management because I fear they are engaging in deceptive sales/trade practices and exposing Verizon to serious liability.   I’ll try to attach a screen shot of my comments.    Once I concluded sharing my request a second time to assure me my complaint would be shared with the executive management team - they ended the chat - AKA, they hung up on me.   

Re: Trade-In kits not recieved FOUR times - finally I sent with self-printed label - Trade in value credited only a FRACTION of the promised amount
jennk1
Contributor - Level 1

BB631980-310E-4F17-8ED2-BD8073548F3D.jpeg

jennk1
Contributor - Level 1

C01880DE-3E32-436C-A665-1745582003C3.jpeg

jennk1
Contributor - Level 1

0D8BABB0-F00F-4ABD-9A58-FB76B3E367C0.jpeg

jennk1
Contributor - Level 1

For those who have experienced similar frustrations with the trade in process or with not receiving the promised trade-in credits - I hope you submit a complaint to the FCC outlining your experience.   Otherwise, Verizon will just claim the issues are a one-off problem and not a wide-spread problem.   Whether they are purposely interfering with the process to discourage successful trade-ins OR they have incompetent systems or customer service reps, EITHER WAY, Verizon needs to fix the problems.   

The FCC form is quick and easy and could really help others facing similar frustrations.  

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Re: Trade-In kits not recieved FOUR times - finally I sent with self-printed label
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, jennk1!Wee appreciate your feedback and your screenshot. We will send you a private message to follow your situation.

>Elias

0 Likes
Good afternoon Jennk1
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good afternoon Jennk1, thank you for reaching out the Social Media Team, I can help you get the full credits for your trade-ins. Our goal is to provide you with the best experience. Please, send us a DM, so we can address all your concerns. Verizon is always here to help! >Aldo

0 Likes
Re: Trade-In kits not recieved FOUR times - credited only a FRACTION of the promised amount
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is terrible to read about your experience trading in your phone, jennk1. You are in the best place to get this corrected. We have sent a private note to gather more information and work on the solution. 

-George

0 Likes