Traded in my phone to Verizon... thought I was getting money in return
Thanksfornothingveriz

Spoke with someone at Verizon about trading in my old phone for cash.  Was told I was getting a giftcard similar to a Visa debit card.  Those exact words were used.  Got Verizon dollars instead.. Great.  No balance on my statement right now, but I suppose I can buy $300 worth of phone chargers.

What really sucks is that I thought the $300 I received would help pay off the $307.00 that was added to my credit card bill from buying the new phone - also from Verizon.  But no, that's just more money for Verizon.

So Verizon, you basically made $600 off me ($300 from purchase of new phone + $300 I'm forced to spend on you in the future), as well as the money you'll make from selling my old phone.  After 10 years of my family's service, there is no reward for brand loyalty.  Can't wait to switch to AT&T.

Verizon Wireless Customer Support

Verizon Admin

Verizon Wireless Admin

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Traded in my phone to Verizon... thought I was getting money in return
rcschnoor
Legend

I guess I don't understand what you were expecting? Were you expecting a "Visa debit card"? If so, why would the salesperson say a "giftcard similar to a Visa debit card?" You got a giftcard which can be used at Verizon. It is similar to a Visa debit card, however it isn't a Visa debit card. You CAN purchase $300 worth of chargers if you choose but you can ALSO use the giftcard to pay your Verizon bill. In THIS way it ISN'T more money for Verizon since you would have been paying for service regardless. Had you charged the phone to your account, you could have put the giftcard towards the cost of the phone had you received it before the bill was due. I guess it is always nice to complain, though.Smiley Happy

Verizon

Not applicable

Nothing to get upset about. All you do is pay your Verizon Invoice with the $300 Verizon Bucks instead of cash out of your pocket. Take the cash you would have spent for the invoice and pay your credit card.

Good Luck

Edited as required by the

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Thanksfornothingveriz

Yes rcschnoor, I was expecting a Visa debit card or something similar, in which case I could use the proceeds to pay for my phone, or anything else.  A Verizon gift card, with funds only applicable to Verizon goods is not similar.  If I was told I would receive a Verizon gift card I would have sold my phone on one of the many other forums to sell phones (Gazelle, Amazon, eBay, etc..).  Also, you can't charge a phone to your account.  When you purchase a phone, you're required to pay for it immediately.

And it is not always nice to complain.  I was genuinely pissed today.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Verizon  bill 300

cash to pay bill 300

credit card bill 300

verizon gift card 300

pay the verizon bill with the gift card and pay cc bill with the cash. 600 -600=0.

it's a wash which has been explained to you. Maybe you needed to see it in print....who knows, but it's the same thing.

BEst wishes

0 Likes
Thanksfornothingveriz

The $300 cost for my new phone cannot be applied to my Verizon statement.  It is a charge that must be paid immediately.  My next Verizon bill for May is $90 and it is due on June 6th.  April was paid on May 6th.  At this rate, it will take me until September to use up the entire $300 gift card.

I'm surprised people are so quick to defend Verizon in this situation.  I'm not angry with their policy.  I'm upset with the information I was given by a service rep when I called, prior to trading in my phone.  If I knew the correct policy, I would have sold my phone elsewhere, received cash, paid my credit card bill, and been happy.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Yes, you can charge a phone to your account unless your account is not in good standing. Possibly if you have a deposit held by Verizon against your account OR your credit is not good enough it would not be available, but for many accounts you can charge the phone to your account.

I guess we will simply disagree, as I consider a Verizon gift card similar to a Visa debit card. To expect a Visa debit card is unrealistic since you were specifically told that you would receive something similar. I'm not defending Verizon, you simply assumed something which was not true. Yes, a Visa debit card would have been nice, however you were told you would receive something similar, NOT a Visa debit card. The faq of the program for which you received the Verizon gift card states what you will receive as payment, which is a Verizon gift card, something similar to a Visa debit card.

You may be unhappy with what you got, but you DO NOT have to purchase goods from Verizon, you do not have to purchase anything you weren't already planning to purchase or put ADDITIONAL funds in Verizon's pocket. You can simply make payments against your service which is what you would have already been paying anyway.

Trade In program.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Thanksfornothingverizon wrote:

When you purchase a phone, you're required to pay for it immediately.

Bill to account...

0 Likes
Thanksfornothingveriz

You're wrong.  You must pay immediately when purchasing a new phone.  I just went on Verizon to check, again.  My account is and has always been in perfect standing as well, so that is not the case.  Also, I understand Verizon has a written policy in their FAQs.  This is why I called customer service - to confirm the extent of use for the giftcard.  I was told "It could be used for anything - it's the same thing as having a visa giftcard."

0 Likes
Thanksfornothingveriz

FUCK - You're right.  But, I've been a Verizon member under my company's title for the past 3 years and recently opened up a new account for myself. One of the eligibility requirements from your link is that I must be the holder of the account for at least 6 months.  So yes, you can charge upgrades to your account but in my case my "Billed Today" amount still included my phone charges

0 Likes